Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building problems

• Please log in to reply

extremeone

extremeone

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have built quite a few pcs always coming up with slight problems etc. as you do but this time ii cant find any solutions.

firstly i have been moving around computer parts from one case to another for my friend, i know this is a bad idea but he said to do neway, it was a dell 4100 which i know is known for its unreliability. Anyway so i move the mobo with cpu and fan (while earthing through strap) and psu into new case, put in working agp graphics card which was put in a year ago, then i find that because dell work on a production line they make all the fpconnectors like power switch etc. in one big row and the case has one big connector for all of the frontpanel switches so it only needs to be pushed in entirely rather then one connector at a time, this meaning a: as none of the pins on the mobo are labelled so i can tell which way, b: i cant tell from the connector where they go as it isnt labelled and worst of all c: the online manual shows that as it is one big connector the seperate buttons different wires arent clustered together but on opposite sides of the connector i.e. the + for power is on one side and - on the other

So trying to fix it i split the black connector on the new case into the two wires and connected them to the right places, turned on the pc and it worked but no screen so after moving the connector round to differnt places it didnt turn on and yes i tried every combination possible! so then me and my friend just presumed the mobo was touchy as it was old anyway and so decided to get a new cpu and mobo as his was only a p3 neway and his bday today so we bought a sempron 2600 socket a today with a foxconn winfast mobo socket A completely compatible with cpu so that not shouldnt be a problem.

Put in mobo into new case and then put cpu with hsf correctly, put ram in and put in the old psu and plug in screen cable to integrated graphics output and then connect mobo power connector from psu then plug in mains and the psu just starts making a whiney noise with no fans spinning in the psu or anywhere and so then i tried another psu and it turns on with no screen so i tried 2 dif graphics cards and they dont work either and also i just want to point out no beeps and yes the internal speaker does work as i checked by unplugging ram and it did the continous beep.

So i have two problems, mainly i got no screen coming up and also do you think i could get the old computer working again if i got another psu?
(for some reason the psu for the old one aswell as the 20 pin has a 7 pin which goes into the mobo aswell)

Please help
p.s. soz for any spelling mistakes

-------------------------------------------------

Must have blown mobo with old psu, got a new mobo more problems but later down line. Thx

Edited by extremeone, 30 July 2005 - 06:09 PM.

Advertisements