Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

futbol_rower

futbol_rower

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;) OKay, so I was surfing one day...minding my own bussiness....when all of a sudden my computer turned off. Ever since then I have tried to turn it back on and it won't. At times it will run the start-up for less than a minute or two, then randomly turn off. I need help! I really don't know much about this and I hope I don't sound like a ditz. :) :tazz:

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Possible causes would include: (from most likely to least)

-One or more fans may have failed causing an overheat state (check all fans)
-Motherboard/CPU/RAM issue. (try another one, or in the case of having several sticks of RAM, try removing one or the other)
If a mobo issue, try resetting to defaults (usually done with a jumper on the board and/or a setting in the BIOS
-Power supply/surge protector problem. (try another one)
-Video card issue (try another one)
-Driver problem (try operating with fewer devices)
-Driver conflict (check event viewer for errors and/or dmp files)
-If you boot to safe mode, will it still shut down after a while?

futbol_rower

futbol_rower

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for the response, I'm still somwwhat confused, I'd appreciate if you'd explain a few things...THANKS A BUNCH! <3 :tazz:

-One or more fans may have failed causing an overheat state (check all fans)[COLOR=purple]Where would those be? and how do I know if they're working?

-Motherboard/CPU/RAM issue. (try another one, or in the case of having several sticks of RAM, try removing one or the other)[COLOR=purple]also, where are these?

If a mobo issue, try resetting to defaults (usually done with a jumper on the board and/or a setting in the BIOS

-Power supply/surge protector problem. (try another one)[COLOR=purple]already did, not the problem

-Video card issue (try another one)

-Driver problem (try operating with fewer devices)

-Driver conflict (check event viewer for errors and/or dmp files)

-If you boot to safe mode, will it still shut down after a while? [COLOR=purple]yeah, it still shuts down.

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thank you very much for the response, I'm still somwwhat confused, I'd appreciate if you'd explain a few things...THANKS A BUNCH! <3 biggrin.gif

No problem :tazz:

-One or more fans may have failed causing an overheat state (check all fans)[COLOR=purple]Where would those be? and how do I know if they're working?

When they turn, they're working. If they are stopped and never turn, they're dead or unplugged. There is frequently a fan in the power supply, in the back of the case, on the side of the case, on the CPU, sometimes on the chips on the motherboard. Sometimes the BIOS will tell you their status also if there is a "system health" section or something like that...

-Motherboard/CPU/RAM issue. (try another one, or in the case of having several sticks of RAM, try removing one or the other)[COLOR=purple]also, where are these?

These are inside the case. If you're not comfortable going in there, DON'T... Take it to a PC repair joint.

-If you boot to safe mode, will it still shut down after a while? [COLOR=purple]yeah, it still shuts down.

This makes it unlikely that your problem is driver related.

Edited by trouduc, 30 July 2005 - 07:13 PM.