Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

which piece of hardware is broken?

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok heres my problem, i hope someone can help me.

my system is : motherboard- asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPU- AMD mobile Athalon XP 2400+
RAM - Kingston hyperX DDR PC-3700
hard drives - 2 Western Digital WD800JD serial ATA

i usually have the 2 hard drives set up in a RAID 0 array, plugged directly to the motherboard.

the CPU is slightly overclocked, but the temp never gets above 50 degrees celcius

ive been having problems with system stability. sometimes when i turn on the computer, windows wont start. Sometimes i get an error message saying a file is missing or corrupt, sometimes i just get a blank screen.

so using the windows CD i go through the process of the REPAIR CONSOLE. once i get to the repair console screen i run CHKDSK (windows tells me that the volume appears to be in good condition) so i run CHKDSK /P to force windows to check the volume anyway. after it does its "additional checking or recovery" it says that "chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume" Then i run CHKDSK /P again and it doesnt find any erors.
so then i type "EXIT" to have the computer start again. Everything seems fine for a while, then i start to have very slow start up times, ill find that some of my files are missing, or windows wont start again. i repeat the repair console process, and then it works fine for a little while.

so this has been going on for over a month now.

this morning windows wouldnt start again. and i figure i should do a fresh install. i figure that maybe i should try it without the RAID array, so i completley format my hard drives and reinstall a fresh copy of windows onto one of the drives. the same thing starts to happen moments after ive installed windows.

so i go through the repair console again, and this time just to see what happens, right after repair console finishes checking and repairing the volume, i turn the computer on and then off again right away. then i run the repair console again, and somehow it finds errors on the volume. after it fixes them and tells me there are no more errors on the volume, i turn the computer on and off again, run the repair console once more and it finds errors again.

how is it possible that everytime i turn off the computer, windows gets corrupted?

so far ive tried a different motherboard, a different processor, ive had it set up on the RAID array and on a single ATA drive, all with the same results.

ive run MEM TEST 86 on my memory sticks and they both pass
ive run the Western Digital diagnostic on both my hard drives and they pass

some people here have suggested maybe i have a virus. i have the Norton anti virus fully updated and i run virus checks all the time. and today since the corruption seems to happen every single time i turn off the computer (even minutes after ive reinstalled windows, and before ive gone online) im havin a hard time believing that a virus is responsible.

hope someone can tell me what the problem is......

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I suggest running bootvis.
http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=664
Then try clean booting using msconfig.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310560
Then try adding /noguiboot and /sos to the line in your boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS /NoGUIBOOT /NoExecute=OptIn
(if it halts for a long time on a particular driver, you'll know who the culprit it)
If problems persist, post a HijackThis log in here if you want anybody to help or in the Malware forum if you only want the staff to help.

Edited by bandedenculer, 28 July 2005 - 08:06 PM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
probably not a Malware problem since he says the problem comes up before he even goes online after a fresh reinstall of windows.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i also think that its not a malware issue, since it happens directly after i reformat my drives and then reinstall windows.

i like the idea of trying to see if a driver is causing the issue..... but i dont understand this :

Then try adding /noguiboot and /sos to the line in your boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /SOS /NoGUIBOOT /NoExecute=OptIn

how and where do i add this? thanks

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
boot.ini is a file in the root of your system drive. You can just browse to it and edit it with notepad or your favorite text editor.

Alternative: Right click "my computer">properties>advanced>startup & recover settings>edit

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You said in your original post that the cpu was slightly overclocked.
How much is slightly?

Can you tell me what you have set the FSB, multiplier & vcore voltage to please?

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
let me first start by saying that i originally had a different CPU in my computer. once i started having these problems, a friend convinced me that the CPU was the problem.

so now i have a different CPU and im having similar problems.

One thing to note, the CPU that i currently have installed is a mobile athalon chip, desgined for a laptop. i put it in to try and keep the voltage and the heat down. all the things ive read online seemed to think that this would be no problem.

my CPU settings are:

Multiplier - 11.0
Vcore - 1.525 (the chip calls for 1.3 volts, but my motherboard doesnt have a lower setting then the 1.525. So this is the overclocking )
there's really no setting that says FSB. if the 'CPU external frequency' is the same as FSB, it's set to 193 mhz.

thanks for your time

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok so i finally had time to try the editing in my boot.ini that bandedenculer suggested.

when the computer restarted many lines of information came up very quickly.

it seemed to get stuck on a particular line that reads...

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\Drivers\Mup.sys"

can anyone tell me what that means?

thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
mup.sys is a driver of some sort but don't know why it's in your boot.ini file. Your boot.ini file (assuming you have only one OS loaded) should look something like this :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Save your current boot.ini under a different name (eg boot.old) to make a backup. Then in the actual boot.ini file, delete the contents & copy & paste the above lines into it.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
samm-

my boot file originally looked just like you said it should.

if you read up in the posts here, youll see one of the members suggests that i change it to

so i could see if it hangs on a particular driver during startup.

i changed it, and then when i restarted the computer, a long list of all different drivers came across the screen very quickly. it seemed to get stuck on the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\Drivers\Mup.sys

so i think that the problem is somewhere with the file "Mup.sys" but i dont know what that is.

any ideas?
thanks

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Troubleshooting a stability problem with a system in an overclocked state no matter how "little" is a waste of time.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
yeah i can see what youre saying....... unfortunatly the lowest setting for voltage in my bios on the motherboard is 1.5something and the chip should really be getting 1.3something. i made a mistake when i bought the chip.

im hoping i can get away without having to buy a new processor..... do you really think i have to go get one?

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Wait your using a CPU that is not compatible with your mainboard? If so that can cause permanent damage to the CPU.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

GeneralAres is right. I had been overlooking the vcore issue, this could well be the cause of the problem.
Also though, i noticed you said the external clock freq was 200MHz, I'm fairly sure that a Athlon XP mobile 2400+ should be running at 266MHz (133x2). Get this confirmed first, but if i'm right, you can adjust the fsb to 266 using the CPU_FSB jumper on your motherboard. This is located just below the cpu. To set it to 266MHz you need to place the jumper over pins 1-2. This setting is for 266/333/400 so you can then adjust the 'cpu external frequency' to 133MHz in the bios (under advanced chipset features). The cpu multiplier should be set to auto.

There is also a setting called CPU Vcore setting. Set this to manual, then adjust the vcore to the correct (or lowest) voltage. According to your mobo manual, the lowest voltage setting for the vcore is 1.1V

If your bios doesn't give you the option of setting the vcore low enough, you could try updating the bios. This will provide additional support for newer cpus & may add lower vcore options to that list.

ox411

ox411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
i called Asus and they told me that the processor i have is not compatable with the mother board. so i ordered a new processor, and hopefully that will fix the problem
thanks