Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with connecting my xbox upstairs to DSL

• Please log in to reply

astyanax89

astyanax89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We have a DSL connection with Qwest and our main computer is on the main level. I have an xbox upstairs and I would like to know what exactly I'd need to do to be able to connect to Xbox live (online gaming). Would I be able to just buy a cord (ethernet) and plug it into my wall, or would I really need to buy a wireless router before I could do all of this, or maybe another modem? Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisements

burgy

burgy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
you need a network card in your pc,and a rj45 crossover cable to run from that in your pc,to your xbox,then go into your control panel and enable internet connection sharing,the xbox will share your pcs connection then,its how i do it,and i have no problems at all,xbox live is great fun if you can find like minded gamers and games YOU like.goodluck! ;)(www.xbox.com should tell you all you need to know my friend :tazz: )

Edited by burgy, 28 July 2005 - 03:01 PM.

astyanax89

astyanax89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thats for the reply, burgy. I have one question though. What if I buy the Microsoft Xbox G router? It says that It can connect DSL connections and the like by just connecting that to my xbox and then the pc (downstairs) to this other thing. And then it would wirelessly connect my xbox. Is that an all in one package?

burgy

burgy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
im sorry,to be honest i really dont know,as ive only used the internet connection sharing way myself,try the xbox site and ask in the forums there,im sure one of the moderators will give you ALL the advice you would need,hope this helps some :tazz:

astyanax89

astyanax89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. You've been a real help.