Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cooling off

• Please log in to reply

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
My little bro.grew up w/computers and has always tweaked and tweaked and usually things work out fine.The other day however he suggested that I remove my fan so that my system will run at a higher temp. wich he said will improve its' overall capabilities,esp. in actual runtime of programs ie;this extra heat will turbocharge my machine.(something 'bout heat generating extra energy)He said that there are opposite beleifs on this theory.What's the deal on this?Is he right or should I throw his puter in the fireplace and tell him the suckers too hot to handle,what with all the extra speed and such? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um....first.....[edited]

second.....is theory is stupid.....heat not only damages the sensitive components in the machine..it also increases the electrical impedance on the connections.....the closer the molecules are together..the better they conduct electricity...therefore when you heat something..the molecules get farther apart and lose conductivity (not a great deal mind you....but we are talking about sensitive stuff)

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 12:48 PM.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
:tazz: Loved this post

I think your Brother is pulling your leg, heat will definately kill the cp fast, maybe you should tell him that you are hooking up a water cooled system and pull out a garden hose....

Little brothers can sometimes be such a pain, trust me I have 2 of them...

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey, I'm a little brother!!! ;)

dsenette, your reply is the best post I have ever read. LMAO! :tazz:

So, HarryMay, out of all the computers your bro has tweaked and tweaked, how many of them actually lasted more than a month? If he was really into computers, wouldn't he come across all kinds of things about finding the best way to get the hot air out of the case? The only theory I can come up with is that your bro just heard about overclocking for the first time before he talked to you and read something like:

"...TURBOCHARGE YOUR MACHINE. The more voltage you send through your processor, the faster is will go and the hotter it will be..."

and then he stopped reading. Always remember, when it comes to computers, HEAT = BAD!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LMAO, great post, what a noob your wee bro is. Better yet get him to demonstrate on his pc. lol what a noob.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lol... ah a praticle use for the hammer at last... love it.

ack your brother about why all the over clockers use massive cooling systems to achieve the super high ghz ratings and ultra high fps.

ok seriously on the science front. heat is bad. it is a by product of inefficienct use of electricity. take a look at the incandescant light bulb. 100watts of power only generates about 20 watts of light and 80 watts of heat. compare that to a 30watt flourescent light that uses and generates 30 watts of power.

ok... :tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I can't believe that three G2G staff members had to comment on this....

lol. We all get it. HEAT BAD

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
with that classic reply how could we not reply.... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah jax....the hammer reply was just burning a whole in my desktop waiting to be posted

Siten0308

Siten0308

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hey guys i need help,

when my computer is on, it will restart out of nowhere. i think it has something to do with the heat of the computer, i have 3 fans, but for some reason does not cool down or keep it cool. another thing i come to thing of, could there be a virus on my bios or computer, it has not picked up anything. here are the specs below:
Windows XP home
350 watt
MSI socket 478 P4 cpu 3.06
1 gb ram 3200
120GB hard drive space
ATI radeon 9600

can you please help, also what CPU frequency should i put? i have it at default, but what do you recommend?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't post inside another thread...it probably won't get answered...post a new topic if you have a question

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
lmao