Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 2000 Installed on C and D Drives

• Please log in to reply

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Man, am I glad I found you guys. I found you because I had a virus, you're in my favorites now!

While installing Windows 2000, I was having a conversation with someone - big mistake.

I did not realize that Windows installed on my D drive. I learned a month
later when I ran out of space on D. I have know idea why it defaulted to
D.

I re-installed to C - everything works fine, but when I boot up, I get that
"Choose an operating system" message (something to that effect anyway).

I cannnot locate the D drive now - just a partition I guess, I'm not that versed
in partions, it's something my ex set up and would not remember how to fix.
I've looked in My Computer, Windows Explorer. Ordinarily, I'm pretty computer literate.

Any suggestions to get rid of the 1st install of Windows 2000??

Thanks!

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
You can remove the entry for the second operating system in the C:\boot.ini file: (careful, make a backup first)
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /fastdetect

or disable the prompt at startup if the only thing worrying you is the menu at startup. Right click "my computer", properties>advanced>"startup and recover"-settings> and uncheck "time to display operating systems"

If you're wanting to recover space, I suggest a dynamic partition resizer such as Partition Magic (formerly Powerquest, now Symantec) or you could just nuke and recreate a D partition through START>RUN>diskmgmt.msc [enter]