Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor blanks out on startup

• Please log in to reply

arbaro

arbaro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

Just got a brand new computer, hooked it up and turned it on...after it initially started up and I went through the initial setup process for WinXP Media Center 2005, my monitor put up a message "OVER SIZE: RECOMMAND MODE 1280x1024" and the screen went black. Audio appears to be OK and the HD worked.

Was working with HP tech support last night and after booting into Safe Mode, changing the resolution (no luck), and uninstalling and reinstalling the driver (would bring me to desktop after restart but blank out again on subsequent restart), the tech said it could be an incompatible monitor and is telling me to try with a newer monitor.

Any second opinions before I shell out another $300-$400 for a new monitor (to replace one that worked perfectly well with my old computer)?

Computer specs:
HP Media Center m7160n
WinXP Media Ctr 2005
Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
1 GB RAM
250 GB HD

Monitor: Princeton Graphics VL173, 17" LCD

Thanks in advance!

Edited by arbaro, 28 July 2005 - 03:19 PM.

Advertisements