Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot update Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

skyrider

skyrider

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows XP Pro - Office 2003 - Plenty of disk space.

I run automatic Windows update (download and notify) but I haven't updated MS Office 2003 for several months. Last month I went to the Windows Update site and accepted the offer to sign up for Microsoft Update which automatically updates Windows and Office. Since then. I've been getting Office updates (7) and when I try to install them I get a notice that the updates failed. Microsoft Update keeps trying to install them but it always fails. I've downloaded several of the updates myself and when I run them I get the same failure.

I've been to the troubleshooting site and searched the Knowledge base for a possible answer. I've read and followed KB826511, KB884290, KB 884298 and several others. I've searched several tech support forums on the internet with no success. If it's significant, my 'MSO Cache' folder is on the E:\ drive. I may have moved it there, I don't recall, but the registry entries do point to the E: drive.

I tried reading the OHotfix(00002).log file and the OU(00008)_Msi.log file but I was in over my head. I did find 'Return Value 3' but don't know where to go from there.

Any suggestions/help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

skyrider

skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This morning I bit the bullet - took an image of my C: drive, uninstalled
and re-installed MS Office Pro 2003.

First I tried the Junk mail filter update and it installed OK
Then I treid Office SP1 and it installed OK
I then tried the remaining 6 updates and all installed except the French
Spelling and Thesaurus spelling checker (which I don't believe is
installed).
So far, everything seems OK.
Thanks again,

Skyrider II

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Glad you were able to figure it out. Sorry we couldn't help you. Check back with other questions when you have them and maybe we can help. :tazz: