Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ps/2 mouse and keyboard error

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i am using a p5gdc deluxe (the one without onboard video) and a 530j cpu by intel. i sent in my mobo before and just got it back. it was replaced with a new one. before, my usb wouldn't work. well, I put everything together and it started up. at first, there was no picture. after trying again to turn on my pc, there was picture. but I couldnt get into bios or anything. so I let it load and I got a error which went by quick so I couldnt read it fast enough. windows started loading normally except once loaded, my mouse or keyboard doesn't work. so I restarted and I took a picture this time. the error said "Keyboard/Interface Error No Keyboard detected! Press F1 to resume"

well, after windows loaded this time, my mouse started working. my keyboard still didn't work. so I restarted again. and this time, my keyboard and mouse both worked. So I restarted again just in case. This time they didnt work. And after like a few restarts, the mouse came to life again for like 2 seconds. I have used two ps/2 mouses so far and I know they work. The keyboard works as well. Or it worked on my old pc just like 3 hours ago. ALso, sometimes, my picture stops working. But starts working again after a few restarts. I was thinking there was short so I put it on a phonebook. The same exact thing. The mouse and keyboard don't work. But when I put it back together, I havent gotten video problems yet, but its only been like 10 minutes of trying to get it to work. I examined the ps/2 ports and everything looks fine. I don't know wut the problem is, since the ports do seem like they work and did work for a while.

I thought it was a hardware issue and sometimes, I do get that screen saying there was a hardware issue and asks me to load normally, safe mode, etc. but I can't choose anything beccause my mouse doesn't work. I wanted to reintall xp thinking it was because of a new mobo (even though it is the same type) but I can't choose anything. The usb do work now so I can get a 10 dollar usb keyboard (dont know about the mouse though), but I rather get these to work.

Any help is appreciated. Also, I just noticed that when the system is booting, and I try to press any bad, I get a like small beeps. So hold it down I get like a beepbeepbeepbeep sound.

UPDATE:
It seems as though if i dont press anything on the keyboard, the mouse will work. but as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard, it stops working. And like I said before, during boot, I can hear a small beep if I press a key on the keyboard.

Edited by neilp4453, 28 July 2005 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: PS/2 Mouse and keyboard errors neilp4453
Date: 28th July- 2005

Are you using a USB Keyboard & a PS2 Mouse? There is a definite problem with this mixture.

USB Keyboards must have LEGACY USB SUPPORT “Enabled” in BIOS setting so you can work the keyboard in DOS environment. There are other issues beside this. I suggest using both PS2 I/O Connections.

Not sure what you mean when you say – Old motherboard USB did not work well - ??? What was not working?
What USB devices do you have?

For time being see if you can get started: Use both PS2 Keyboard & PS2 Mouse . . . .
Check BIOS to have both Mouse & Keyboard LEGACY USB SUPPORT “Disabled/Default”

Describe your USB problem on original motherboard.

Also is your mouse a real PS2 mouse or is it a USB mouse, using a PS2 Adapter??

Refer to 2 of my previous posts on these issues:
(1st)

Topic: HYBRID MICE (USB/PS2 Mouse)
Date: 22 July – 2005

Hybrid Mice are those designed to plug into 2 types of Ports. There are (2 ) TYPES of Hybrids:
1- (USB or PS2) : The primary connector is generally a “hardwired” USB connector with
an adapter to PS2
2- (Serial or PS2): The primary connector is a “hardwired” serial connector, which is now
generally a (–9 pin DIN) or (older –25 pin ) with an adapter to PS2.

The mouse that is usually boxed in with a system, generally is either a USB or Serial or a PS2 mouse – NOT A HYBRID. The addition of a PS2 adapter does not make it a hybrid. The designed circuitry that detects the type of port which, it is connected to & automatically configures the mouse – make it a Hybrid.

The Hybrid mouse will state on the bottom of the mouse USB and PS2 Compatible or Serial / PS2 Compatible. The Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 is a Hybrid Mouse. The rule of thumb is if the mouse did not come with a PS2 Adapter – It probably is not a Hybrid and will not work if NOT connected to the “hardwire” connector’s “native” port.

Keyboards will follow the same rule, but they have different / additional considerations and issues.

Another problem with, USB Mice & Keyboards are, they may not be functional until an USB-aware operating system is loaded. (Win-98-SE – Windows Me – XP – 2000 etc.) They may not function when running DOS; diagnostic software and could have difficulty Posting – “Legacy USB Support”/ BIOS Support is needed/required.

This will be another Topic: >>>for another post<<<<perhaps Keyboard issues>>>>>

Hope this sheds some light on mouse issue,
Jack123

2nd post:
Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
Geeks To Go _ Hardware, Components and Peripherals _ Keyboard Issues
Posted by: thedragon632 Jul 26 2005, 04:31 AM
I'm attempting to completely redo my sister's computer, so I formatted the hard drive and have been trying to re-install Windows XP. While trying, it would boot from CDROM and load the setup files, but when it gets to the page asking me to press enter to install, or R to repair, I thought the computer would freeze. However, after installing windows 95 and upgrading to 2000 (after many other attempts at other versions) I have discovered that the keyboard just stops working all together. If I reboot, I can hit DEL to enter setup, use the keyboard in the BIOS and if I use a boot disk and boot into DOS, I can type to my hearts content. But anytime I let the computer load windows the keyboard will not work at all. It is a PS/2 keyboard, I've tried 2 different ones, and the same problem occurs with both. I have checked for IRQ conflicts and cant find any. If I look in the control panel under keyboards and the hardware tab, absolutely nothing is listed. I don't think it's the PS/2 port(s) because the keyboard works when the pc isn't in Windows. I've done this many times before and have never ever seen this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: One other thing that may be handy: when upgrading from 95 to 2000, I was able to use the keyboard for most of the 2000 installation, but at the prompt to setup the network connection (domain/workgroup) it quit working again, but I was able to fudge my way through the install with my usb mouse.

Posted by: Jack123 Jul 26 2005, 04:06 PM
Topic: Keyboard Issues
Date: 26th July- 2005

Hello – Need some info on system:
1- Did you upgrade motherboard?
2- What is Name – Model – CPU – Amount of RAM –Legacy USB Support
3- USB Support – (1.1) or (2.0) or (2.0+)

The last 2 words of your post: “USB MOUSE” may be the clue.

Although, You are using a PS2 Keyboard, the fact that you are using a USB mouse may be an issue here. That is why I need to know the info on your system. See if your Motherboard BIOS has LEGACY USB SUPPORT? I have seen issues when mixing USB & PS2 Input Devices. I will go into further details on a later post, but for now lets try 1 or 2 things to get the keyboard to work.

(1) – Is your Mouse a USB mouse or is it a HYBRID Mouse? Look at the bottom of mouse and see what is written. It should give you the: (1-) Name (2-) Model Number & it will either say: “USB Mouse” or “USB 2.0 and PS2 Compatible”. If it is USB 2.0 and PS2 Compatible, then it is a HYBRID MOUSE – You should have a - USB to PS2 – Adapter that came with the mouse.

Use that adapter and plug into the PS2 Mouse port – (only if it is a HYBRID). It will automatically configure itself as a PS2 mouse. Now you will have both your Input devices set as PS2.

(2) – If it is a USB mouse, can you obtain a PS2 mouse to temporarily use? If you can; try using the PS2 Mouse Port?

Now you may have to set BIOS on – with regard to:
(1) – Legacy USB Support –(Either Support or Disable)
(2) – USB settings to what Motherboard supports

Lets try this much for now
Jack123

Posted by: thedragon632 Yesterday, 12:00 PM
It turns out that the USB mouse was the problem. As soon as I plugged the mouse into the USB to PS/2 converter that came with the mouse, and then plugged the mouse into the PS/2 port, my problem was solved. Thanks for all your help.

CAN YOU SEE A RELATION WITH YOUR PROBLEM?

1- TRY USING PS2 MOUSE AND PS2 KEYBOARD.
2- SET LEGACY USB SUPPORT TO "DISABLED" FOR BOTH MOUSE & KEYBOARD IN BIOS
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 28 July 2005 - 10:00 PM.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well, I my old motherboards usb didnt work so I sent it in to asus. they replaced it. well I got it bak yesterday and put it together. well my ps/2 mouse or keyboard didnt seem to work. I kept getting a "keyboard/interface error." well it seems as though my keyboard did seem to get power and when I pressed a button, there just a small beeping/clicking noise. then I realized that if I pressed a button on the keyboard, my mouse stopped working. so if I didnt press anything on my keyboard, my mouse worked. well just 5 minutes ago i got a usb keyboard. well the keyboard works, but the mouse didn't. and i still got that error even though I took off my ps/2 mouse. well I decided to plug in both my ps/2 and usb keyboard. well now I can use my usb keyboard and ps/2 mouse. but the ps/2 keyboard still doesnt work and pressing a button on it forces my mouse to stop working.

i am not using any adapters either so I have a usb keyboard, ps/2 keyboard, and a ps/2 mouse.

Edited by neilp4453, 29 July 2005 - 10:48 AM.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi neilp4453

You will hear a single beep each time the cp boots up, this is telling us that the Post has completed correctly and that there are no errors found. If you boot up the cp are the num, caps, and scroll lock lights blink once, or does nothing happen??

Check the pins on your keyboard to see that they are straight, also check the back of the cp at teh PS/2 ports to see that there is no little "Dust Bunnies" plugging one of the holes.

Only use one keyboard for now, there is no point in connecting both, if the USB keyboard is working and your happy with that then put the PS/2 in storage.

Have you checked out your mouse, could be getting ready to leave this world, might be a bad connection inside the mouse which could be causing the issues, if you can borrow one from a friend try that, or swap them mice for a day to see if it acts up on their cp.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well I tried two ps/2 mouses and two ps/2 keyboards. they both work until I press a key on the ps/2 keyboard. and I have to keep a ps/2 keyboard installed for both the mouse and usb keyboard to work. if i disconnect the ps/2 keyboard, then the mouse stops working. and I also have legacy usb kept as auto.

like i said in my first post, I have seen the keyboard work for a few seconds. and restarting the computer made it stop working. and when I turn on the power to my pc, the lights on the ps/2 keyboard do blink once. i am actually typing from my new pc right now with a ps/2 keyboard and usb keyboard installed.

also, I have sent in this motherboard (just got it replaced) like 2 times and I dont feel like sending it again since there are other options. ill just use a usb keyboard. except i have to keep the ps/2 keyboard on to use my ps/2 mic. will getting a usb mouse solve this problem? and i also keep getting the "keyboard/interface error" even after taking of the ps/2 keyboard and I want it to go away, so will getting all usb equipment stop this from coming again?

like i said, I rather use a ps/2 keyboard and mouse simply because they are cheaper to buy and I have a couple of them. so I am still looking to fix this problem...but I am not going to send this motherboard in to Asus again....i am getting tired of doing so.

Also , i just did a fresh install of xp, and no luck. i also cleared the cmos, not luck either. ill try inspecting the motherboard ps/2 area again.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
K, this is getting confusing, from what I understand you have the PS/2 keyboard installed so that your PS/2 mouse works and your cp will boot up without errors, but as soon as you touch a key on the PS/2 keyboard, your mouse stops working... :tazz:

What happens if you boot the cp, don't touch anything until the cp is running for like 5 min, unplug the PS/2 keyboard and just run with the USB keyboard, have you installed the drivers for the keyboard?? Run a full shut down if the drivers and installed and restart the cp without plugging back in the PS/2 keyboard, if you still get an error that no keyboard is installed then there has to be a setting in your BIOS to enable the USB support, which I never had issues with with XP. I run a wirless keyboard which the terminal connects to USB.

Something does not sound right in your settings, right click my computer and select Properties, Hardware Tab, Device Manager button, click on the plus sign next to keyboard, is it showing with a yellow exclamtion point??

Go into Control panel and see what is configured for your keyboard setup.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Just a reminder - I hope you are shutting down when connecting & disconnecting the PS2 I/O ports. . .

When you have both PC2 Devices connected . . . Do you have LEGACY USB SUPPORT [Disabled] for both Keyboard & Mouse in BIOS??

Also THERE ARE ISSUES: with using a USB Keyboard with a PS2 mouse

or

Using a USB Mouse with a PS2 Keyboard

And I do not think that it is wise to connect both USB & PS2 keyboards at the same time

Also did you get a "new" motherboard or "repaired" old motherboard?
Not that it makes any difference - but did - "they" - fix whatever problem you sent it back for in the 1st place?? Or are you still having the same problem - but mixed in with a new problem?

Did you get a report stating what was corrected? (Kind of nice to have.)

IMPORTANT:
Does motherboard support LEGACY KEYBOARD SUPPORT?
Does motherboard support LEGACY MOUSE SUPPORT?

Did you set your BIOS up for the 2nd motherboard for USB?

How about Drivers: Keyboard - Mouse - USB you probably need to update them?

Try this setup . . . .1 more time

(1)-Set Bios LEGACY USB SUPPORT to [DISABLED] for both Keyboard & Mouse

(2)-Connect both PS2 Mouse & PS2 Keyboard 1 more time & DO NOT connect USB Keyboard at this time.

It really looks to me - you may have PS2 I/O port/s fault/s on motherboard. . .

Alternative:

(1)- Set both Keyboard & Mouse LEGACY USB SUPPORT to [ENABLED]

(2)- Obtain/Borrow a USB Mouse

(3)- Connect both USB Mouse & USB keyboard to USB Ports

see if this works . . . if it does then you probably have bad PS2 Port/s

BUT this REQUIRES Motherboard LEGACY USB SUPPORT & must be [ENABLED]

Jack123

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yes, I have set legacy to auto so the system should figure out for itself. and i also tried enabled for legacy still same thing. also, u misunderstood me, i get the error every time i turn on my pc. since my ps/2 mouse only works if my ps/2 keyboard is still connected..i keep it connected along with the usb keyboard. i can't use the ps/2 keyboard though since doing so locks up the mouse and I can't use it anymore.

I would try unplugging the ps/1 keyboard while the system is online, but I want more opinions if I should do it or not. cuz I do know that plugging and unplugging while the system is on can damage the ps/2 connectors.

so it seems as though my ps/2 keyboard does get power (since I see the lights blink) and since I can hear noise when attempting to press a key. and i have seen the keyboard work simultaneously with the mouse for like 5 seconds and then stopped.

yea, so I get that error message every time even when no ps/2 keyboards are connected.

also, i am tired of sending my mobo in to asus. if i buy a usb mouse and use only usb connections instead of ps/2 for my mouse and keyboard, will i ever have to use/worry about the ps/2 ports again? in other words, can I just use usb and not have problems in the future (like something coming out just for ps/2....if possible).

Edited by neilp4453, 29 July 2005 - 01:57 PM.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
d.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Is there any chance that: >> the 2 PS2 ports reversed???<<

It sure sounds that way . . . either you have or they are marked wrong??

Verify that the Mouse is in the Mouse port.

And verify that the keyboard is in the keyboard port.

Jack123