Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble accessing website in windows 98

• Please log in to reply

fuqyu

fuqyu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I work in the tech support department at BRISNET.com. In the past couple of weeks, I have received 2 calls from users who are unable to access our page. They can access any other page on the web except ours, which acts like there is no internet connection at all (page cannot be displayed error, things like that). BRISNET is a secure site, so I first thought the issue was browser related. I instructed the people to install mozilla firefox, but that didn't do the trick either.

I have 2 cases of this so far. One was running Windows 98SE, and had norton antivirus software on it. I tried disabling it but to no avail.
The other user also had windows 98 (probably SE), and Roadruner DSL, they hung up on me :tazz: before I could get any more information on their system.
I have absolutely NO idea what could be causing the issue, any input would be wonderful. I HATE telling customers that I don't know how to resolve their issue, so someone please ;) !

P.S. Our director of Operations banned certain IP's that were abusing our site, but I thought they'd get a "Connection Refused" error.

EDIT: We just had a 3rd caller with the same problem. The REALLY weird thing is the users claim they could access our site just days ago. the 3rd caller also has Windows 98.

Edited by fuqyu, 28 July 2005 - 04:48 PM.

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Although I'm skeptical, it is possible that they are unable to get to the site because it isn't W3C compliant and they are going through a proxy or transparent proxy (possibly even setup by their ISP) which is causing the page to fail to be accessed or fail to render properly on most browsers.

http://validator.w3.......brisnet.com/

I'd ask them if they can ping your site and/or telnet to port 80 and see if they get a response.

START>RUN>COMMAND [enter]
telnet www.microsoft.com 80
[enter]
(they should get a blank screen at this point)
GET /index.html HTTP/1.0
(when they type this it will NOT echo to screen)
[enter]
[enter]

if all is well, they would get output something like this:

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Connection: close
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:11:09 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
P3P: CP="ALL IND DSP COR ADM CONo CUR CUSo IVAo IVDo PSA PSD TA
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
X-AspNet-Version: 1.1.4322
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: 15988

<!doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >
<HTML dir="LTR">
        <head>
                <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/h
                <link type='text/css' rel='Stylesheet' href='/l

function mhHover(tbl,idx,cls){var t,d;if(document.getElementByI
function footerjs(doc){if(doImage==null){var tt=TType==null?"PV
svy/broker.js'></script>
        </head>
        <body>

Good luck!

fuqyu

fuqyu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, so I've tried this with a couple sutomers so far, and none of them have been able to telnet to our site. We do, however, keep our servers here on a lockdown for security purposes. So, my next question is this: is it the way our web site was designed that makes it not compliant with W3C, or does it have more to do the way our firewall/proxy is set up here?
I need to be able to better explain the situation to the big cheeses in the morning, so a little more info on this greek would be helpful.

fuqyu

fuqyu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
o yeah, the problem isn't exclusive to Windows 98 users BTW. I had a customer with XP call me regarding this issue yesterday. The telnet's from all the customers failed, meaning...?

I talked to my roommate about the issue, he thinks it's some sort of malware on their PCs...that doesn't seem very logical to me, I've even checked the registry and host file (or at least, done my best to tell the customers to), and found nothing...this problem is :tazz: me off.