Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player streaming issues

• Please log in to reply

tarunium

tarunium

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently my Windows Media Player (v10) stopped playing streams out of the blue. Whenever I try to play a stream it crashes, taking the browser down with it if it is an embedded stream. It plays files off my disk just fine. Ive tried it on both IE and Firefox and I have the same problem. It used to be just fine but the other day I was playing a stream off the BBC News website and it crashed and it hasn't been able to play streams since then. I tried reinstalling WMP but it still has the same problem. I also tried rolling back to WMP9 but the problem doesnt go away. I am able to play streams using Media Player Classic, but it doesn't handle streaming content very well, so I would really like to fix WMP. So any suggestions on how to get rid of this problem would be greatly appreciated. Or if you could direct me to a suitable alternative for playing Windows Media streams, that would be great too (I tried VLC and it doesnt do a great job either). Thanks in advance!

- T

Advertisements

tarunium

tarunium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, the problem has mysteriously fixed itself. WMP is working fine now, so don't bother.

tarunium

tarunium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I spoke too soon. WMP still crashes but if I restart the computer I can play one stream fine. After that every subsequent stream causes a crash. Is there some process that remains running that I need to close? Like I said before, any help would be greatly appreciated.