Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer is shutting itself off! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Jamie Needssomehelp

Jamie Needssomehelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK....i have a serious problem with my computer...Im not sure what it is, so thats why im posting this message, hoping someone can help me...
Anyways, my computer will be running fine, maybe a little slow at times, and all of a sudden it shuts off! BOOM! for no reason (I dont think) but i cant just press the button on the computer...i have to unplug it, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in, then turn it on...it will usually stay on anywhere from 15-45 minutes...i took my computer to Best Buy, and they were VERY SURE it was the power supply, so, i wanted to get a 2nd opinion, so i took it to PC Club, and they ran tests on it for 4 days and said that there was ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the computer (they had it on for 4 days straight and it never turned off)...so i thought it might be the DSL line...so i called DSL and they said nothing was wrong with the DSL...so since NONE of the professional places could help me, im gonna try asking you guys...well, i thought the problem could be that my computer is overheating...because...when i unpluged my computer, pluged it back in, etc. one time, i felt the back of the computer and it was BURNING UP! I heard that the #1 cause of overheating is dust, so i got a can of compressed air, blew out all the dust, and i also had it professionally cleaned out....well, my problem still exists and my computer still shuts itself off! so...its not the DSL, its not the actual computer, its not dust, and im pretty sure its not viruses or anything because i have a virus protector on my computer! HELP ME! WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER!?!?!!?! WHY IS IT SHUTTING ITSELF OFF?!?!?!?!?!?! :tazz: :) :( ;)

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

i felt the back of the computer and it was BURNING UP!

sounds like this is your problem right here. Random shutdowns then waiting a while before turning it back on has got to be overheating. Even a completely dust-less computer can overheat (although collected dust doesn't help things at all).

I can 100% guarantee that your DSL connection is not causing this, so you can rule that out.

Can you open up the side of your case and shine a flashlight inside to see if all the fans are spinning when you start up? A broken fan will certainly cause overheating. The most important fan to check is the CPU fan. Check this one first.

Also, what kind of computer are you running? What CPU, Motherboard, Video Card, etc...?

Edited by UV_Power, 28 July 2005 - 09:06 PM.