Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master to Slave

• Please log in to reply

jdani2000

jdani2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have windows XP. I only had a 20 gig hard drive and it was nearly full. I purchased a 60 gig hard drive and installed it as a slave.

I then used maxblast 3 to copy everything off my C drive to the new hard drive (F) I have copied everything and it all seems to work.

My question is how do I clear the space out of my C drive to make my computer more efficient without clearing them off the F drive.

Seems like if I would delete programs it would delete them off both drives and not just one. Is this the case :tazz:

I do not want to screw anything up. I just want a faster and more efficient computer. ;)

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
START>RUN>diskmgmt.msc

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First you want to switch the drives by switching the cable connections. You may have to physically move them too, so the connections will be right. Then the 60gb drive will be C: and the old drive will be F:. That will be the best setup for Windows, or most any operating system. Then you can just right click on F: and choose format. Windows won't generally format the C: drive.

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'd advise against moving them because you'll run into disk signature issues and the boot sector on the old drive is likely where winblows is booting from which means he'll have to "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS boot media or use recovery to run "fixmbr" and/or "fixboot". Drive signing is a pain when you're cloning. I hope to heck there isn't a DDO on there too :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I'd advise against moving them because you'll run into disk signature issues and the boot sector on the old drive is likely where winblows is booting from which means he'll have to "fdisk /mbr" from a DOS boot media or use recovery to run "fixmbr" and/or "fixboot". Drive signing is a pain when you're cloning. I hope to heck there isn't a DDO on there too :tazz:

View Post

I didn't run into any of those problems when I cloned my 40gb to an 80gb and it works fine. It's now the C: drive and the old drive isn't in the system. But maybe I'll find problems later and have to fix something.

jdani2000

jdani2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried diskmgmt.msc but it would not let me delete anything off the C drive. I guess I must be doing somthing wrong. All I have accomplished is changing 220,000 files into 440,000. So much for clearing space. :tazz:

I am not great with computers. I can follow instructions but I do not know how to fix or change deeper problems like this.

The answer run diskmgmt.msc simply is not enough information for me.

trouduc

trouduc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I tried diskmgmt.msc but it would not let me delete anything off the C drive. I guess I must be doing somthing wrong. All I have accomplished is changing 220,000 files into 440,000. So much for clearing space. :tazz:

I am not great with computers. I can follow instructions but I do not know how to fix or change deeper problems like this.

The answer run diskmgmt.msc simply is not enough information for me.

View Post

Disk management would allow you to delete and recreat the partition, not individual files... Once you recreate the partition and format it, you'll able to put files on the second drive... ;)

Once in Disk Management, right click a partition and choose "delete logical drive". Then choose to create a new partition on the now empty space and right click on it and choose to format it and choose a drive letter if you wish.

Edited by trouduc, 03 August 2005 - 09:30 PM.