Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless range extender or repeater

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Anyone using or know of a good wireless range extender? I'm trying to extend my wireless network into a second neighboring house I own and am trying to use as an office. It is about 300ft away but there is a building partially blocking the line of sight.
I've seen several "extenders" that promise up to 1300ft outdoors and 300ft indoors but I don't trust the ranges as my current linksys router falls far short of its advertised range.
If it involves an expensive antenna and/or transciever set-up I'll just buy service for the second house, but if an under $100 extender like this d-link dwl-g710 would work then maybe I'll do it that way.
Any ideas?
Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 29 July 2005 - 07:02 AM.

Advertisements

mecaroo

mecaroo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I was hoping someone answered you. I'm wanting to do the same thing for my camper. It picks up wifi from the house but only in the back of the camper which is about 75-100 feet from the house where the wifi is. I'd like to extend the range to the front of the camper which is another 30+ feet. Any suggestions for a good one to buy? I only want to spend under $40.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi mecaroo, The normal sort of maximum range, quoted by most manufacturers, with a home WAP (wireless access point) that is built in to many routers) is in the order of 100ft (in still undisturbed air). The signal is attenuated by any solid object twixt WAP attenna and the receiving antenna in the mobile device. Walls, machinery, and interference from other devices operating on similar frequencies also can have a significant effect.

Location of the WAP and the receiving antenna can be important and a certain amount of trial and error may be required to find the locations that provides the strongest signal. even a small movement of just a few feet can make all the difference.

If you make sure that the maximum signal strength is being transmitted by your WAP and if its possible to fit a large extenal antena  then this may do the trick.... or failing that, a high gain USB Wireless network adapter  would probably help. If you used for example a 8dBi directional dish antenna (not terribly expensive) then you could look to increase the effective range by something in the order of 300% or so.

Here's an example of the sort of thing you could try.....

http://www.dx.com/p/...23#.VeH0_H0kR7M

Hope this helps

Regards

paws