Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows XP w SP2 recently downloaded, Outlook Express 6 seems to forward a single msg multiple times and is garbage. Also a created msg goes out multiple times. Some recipients(like AOL) see this and some others do not. I am confused.

Advertisements

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
If it helps you any, my outlook express works 'poopy' also!

I can't send anything.....Everything I try to send goes to the 'outbox'.

I think that is the 'outhouse'....nothing sends, they just pile up there.

I wish a solution would appear how to make Outlook work like it should!

For me, I think I have a setting wrong...maybe just maybe you do also?

Sincerely, Janie :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is the message completely done leaving your mailbox and perhaps outlook stops?

If the message does not empty form the outbox, due to a crash or disconnect, it will send again...that's all that comes directly to mind.

Create a second identity and see if it duplicates from that?

Janie, did you respond to my other questions in your thread?

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Until they are deleted from the outbox, they will all try to send AGAIN whenever we try to send a new email through Outlook...so actually they are not being sent duplicate...they are just NOT sending at all.

Yes, I replied to you, Gerry, in my thread about Not being able to delete History, is that the thread you meant or the one about Outlook?

However, I am too 'unintelligent when it comes to computers' to know how to do your suggestions.....I couldn't even get into safe mode! waaaaaaaa

Janie :tazz:

Edited by fflowergirl, 29 July 2005 - 10:01 AM.

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, but no help. My OE has been working fine for years. Am not sure if the recent download of SP2 has anything to do with it or not. Here's the latest exam,ple: I scan a document, save it to My Documents, then try to email it as an attachment, and it goes out 4 times. Some other documents and pics are sent out twice, some 14 times and some once. In test emails to myself, one msg is ok, however the multiples have an attachment that is garbage.???????
Bob

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Boy, you do have an unusual Outlook Express problem. :tazz:

My Outlook has worked perfect for years also.

It just started acting up since I downloaded Firefox and also since getting a new
Internet Provider.

'Popeye' suggested we should have IE as our default browser for Outlook
to work right. Do you?

He also sent me this site that has lots and lots of Outlook Express problems and solutions.
Maybe your answer will be there.
Hope so.

CLICK HERE: Outlook Express Support Center

Janie ;)

Edited by fflowergirl, 30 July 2005 - 08:46 PM.

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I use IE all the time. My problem appears to be only with recent pics and msgs. Thanks for the OE troubleshooting site, will check it out. I may try a complete save, then a system restore back to a date that might be prior to the trouble starting. Tks again, Bob

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
If I forward or if I create and send a large photo file, my OE sends out multiple msgs, one that is correct and several that are garbage. All was ok up to about a month ago---can this be a registry problem ??????

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi rbobbyd.
I have horsed around, trying to get my Outlook Express to SEND like it did
before I changed Internet Servers and have spent far too many hours trying to fix it, asking here for help, searching the Internet, changing settings etc.

I finally got smart, well my 13 year old niece is the smart one, and DUMPED OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

We don't need it...there is an alternative and I have been using it today and it is working great...You might give it a try...and can always go back to Outlook.

Here is the thread:

How to change from Outlook Express to Hotmail

Let us know if you give it a try.

Edited by fflowergirl, 08 August 2005 - 08:27 PM.

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, Janie, for hanging in there with me thru all of this. I went thru all the steps except signing up for a Hotmail account. My current ISP is RoadRunner thru Brighthouse cable, if I want try the Hotmail approach, is there any way I can keep my RoadRunner address or do I have to notify the whole world that my address is changing ??????? How do I open up all of my msgs that came in thru OE ??????

Advertisements

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My OE multiple outgoing msgs problem has been solved. I called the RoadRunner technical support people and even though this was not "their" problem, he had me go look in a place that I had missed. Deep down into the OE-Tools-Accounts-Advanced-properties, there was a setting that calls for breaking up msgs bigger than 60KB. How this got checked, I'll never know, but all is ok now
Janie, can I try to help you with your OE ??????
Bob

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Your Roadrunner ISP email won't change...this is just for sending things like pictures from your computer & web pages (when you click on file and then send page, it will go through Hotmail)....these are the only things that will go through Hotmail, the same as we use Outlook Express . (Unless you WANTED to use Hotmail email ALSO.)

You WILL have another email address (Hotmail) but you won't need to use it very often.
You can keep your ISP email address; you wouldn't want to have to tell everyone
you are changing email addresses, that would be a nuisance for sure...

Your messages will NOT come through Outlook Express any longer but through Hotmail.
That is how it is working for me today....I don't know if you ever noticed but in the top browser row is a picture of an envelope with a tiny arrow beside it.

If you click on it, it will open your Outlook Express...now when I click on it, it opens into Hotmail....

You may NOT have this 'little envelope' but it is in the browser row of my Yahoo home page.....If you DON'T have this envelope and little tiny arrow, ry clicking on this and see if you get the envelope I am talking about! :tazz: Yahoo Home Page

DON'T GIVE UP rbobbyd.... ;)

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
rbobbyd...I just was writing you that long explanation and you have your problem solved...that is terrific. :tazz:

Well, if it were one day earlier, I would sure have you help me and I would go and check if I had the same thing checked on my Outlook Express but I don't have it anymore and I really don't care since Hotmail does the same thing...sends emails from my computer.

We always have to have either Outlook or Hotmail to be able to send pages and pictures etc...there is probably others, maybe AOL..not sure.

I never noticed that box about breaking up msgs bigger than 60KB.
I bet I have been to Outlook properties and mail options a hundred times trying
to figure out the problem.

I can't call my Internet Provider because at 1.95 per minute, I would be broke! ;)

So anyhow...CONGRATULATIONS on getting the solution to your problem and thanks for sharing it here.
Sincerely, Janie flowergirl :)

rbobbyd

rbobbyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Janie,
Thanks for the kind words. My OE is back to working great now. What ISP do you use and do they really charge for trouble calls ??????

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi rbobbyd.
I use PeoplePc....it cost 14.95 per month with accelation and 10.95 without it.
Unlimited minutes...I go the 14.95 route as it seems a little faster.
The first month was free if I switched...

My previous Provider was called KCONLINE and it cost 21.95 and DID HAVE
limited minutes of 240 per month. But Outlook Express worked just fine.

Kconline had free calls for help. (800 number) ...peoplepc does charge the 1.95 per minute. EEK...I won't call them, that is toooooo expensive as it usually takes quite
awhile to solve a problem.

They have free online help so I have written them quite a bit trying to get my
Outlook Express to work.

But so far, so good, with Hotmail to replace Outlook.
I'm sure glad you have yours working again.

Edited by fflowergirl, 09 August 2005 - 08:59 PM.