Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sharing dvd drive

• Please log in to reply

andy25

andy25

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi i have a dvd drive on my computer that my dad wants to acces from his computer i shared it but when i get on his computer and i go to the windows explorer i find my computer in the workgroup when i try to acces it it says i hve to contact the server my computer to give him permision ene though i enabled the shairing on the drive and allowed other users to acces the files also

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
What version of winders is on your pop's 'puter? If it is 9X, make sure you have the "microsoft networking" installed on his system and are "logging into the network". Otherwise, you may need to disable "simple file sharing"
START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW
uncheck "simple file sharing" at the bottom of the list.
Make sure you've set perms on the share to include "everyone" with at least read access.

If all this confuses you, what does it say when you do this: (from dad's pc)
START>RUN>\\<your 'puter name>\<dvd share name> [enter]

andy25

andy25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok my dad gt xp pro and i gt xp home when i try to acces it it says his comp dosent have permisson to acces the computer even though i set it to be shared any ideas???

andy25

andy25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i unchecked simple sharing and i still cant acces my dvd drive from his i hve xp home on mine and he gt xp pro on his anythin else i could do???

andy25

andy25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok now i installed soe net protocol on another site tht said it would work didnt work and now i can t see my dads computer in my workgroup and h cant see mine either i tried uninstalling and it didnt make a diffrence whts goin on??

andy25

andy25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok update to my problem my dad decided he gna buy a dvd drive and now i need help because i can't see his comp on the workgroup so wht is wrong now??