Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

trouble with new HD and native cd-rom

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so i bought a new 120gb HD and installed it to the letter making sure everything was done correctly. I then went into system setup and instructed the system to autodetect my drive and enabled UDMA, saved and rebooted. ALL EXACTLY HOW THE DIRECTIONS SAID.

Now i'm supposed to boot with the provided utility CD so i can finish setup and format my drive, but when i hit F12 i don't have the option to boot from CD, but every other option is there.

my cdrom was working fine until i took out my old, defunct HD and put in this new one.

so i go back into setup and it says under boot order that my cd-rom isn't installed. so i figure that explains why i cannot boot from it, but i can't figure out why it isn't installed, or how i'm supposed to complete my new drive setup without being able to boot from CD.

so this is where i cry for help...

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Get into bios, choose "default settings". Shut down the machine. Then restart it, get into bios again and see if the CD shows up.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
did the drive come with a floppy as well? i know when i got my new hd it came with a cd and a floppy...and i had to use both if i was switching out my primary drive...i only needed the cd if i was putting it in as a slave