Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB problems

• Please log in to reply

sammyW

sammyW

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello,

I have just got a calculator which supports USB connection. When ever I go to plug the devise into the socket, windows comes up with a dialogue box prompting me to install the driver. I have a USB printer which is plugged in and works fine. A USB driver also can with the calculator, I went to install it and windows came up with a message saying the this driver had not been verified by windows, I just ignored this and installed it, it hasn't made any difference anyway. If the devise is working properly, an icon in the my computer window should appear, as I understand, this does not happen. Below is a list of the item with appear under the "USB Contrller" tree.

Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Contrller - 24DD
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I dont believe anything shgould show up in the my computer window when you plug in the calculator. Usually the only things that show up in the My Computer Window are storage devices like flash drives or external hard drives. If I am wrong please, sombody correct me, but from what I know I dont think anything should show up.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 29 July 2005 - 12:12 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thng you might want to try is when you connect the calculator and choose update drivers check the Microsoft Update box and go to the MS site. Sometimes they have drivers that will update your 1.1 to 2.0 and you won't even need to install third party drivers or another usb card.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
The Icon might show up in CONTROL PANEL ? ?

If you want an icon istalled on your desktop . . . .

go to START > PROGRAMS

Locate your Calculator application . . . RIGHT CLICK >SEND TO
SELECT DESKTOP (Create Shortcut) LEFT CLICK

ICON should appear

If you want it to appear on your startbar at bottom left of Display. . Just click & drag icon on desktop to the area below & drop. Then whenever you are in an application - you can click on icon - it should probably have a HOT KEY that is associated with

If you want to see if it is installed . . . Use DEVICE MANAGER and expand USB Controllers use POWER TAB to see USB Current consumed (You may have to use refresh)

Double click on those USB ROOT HUBS for more info!! Looks as if you might have an Xpansion USB Card

Click on DRIVER TAB & look at driver details

Jack123

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi sammyW

Does the Calculator work?? I'm thinking that your are thinking about the Safely Remove Hardware icon that will show up whenever something USB is connected on the Taskbar, right hand side by the clock.

If it is showing, double click on that to see if the calculator is showing up in the box that pops up. I don't think that this will show up in My Computer.

sammyW

sammyW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks heaps for the replies guys.
I pluged in the devise again and it appears to work. I believe it was mainly a problem with the calculator. I hadn't given the appropiate command to recieve. Once again thanks.