Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update not working

• Please log in to reply

T4phage

T4phage

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been having problems for the past few months regarding Windows Update. I used to be able to download the upgrades from the site, but lately I've been getting the : Error Code: 0x80246002 The updates start downloading, but then fails towards the very end!!!! What I was able to do in the past was to download the failed updates from the Microsoft Download page manually, but now, I cannot even see what upgrades I need since the "Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" won't install because of the above error!!!!

When I checked my add ons when I failed to download updates, I noticed this "licmgr10.dll" active X cannot be updated....

I do have an authenic copy that came with my computer, and I had been validated before when I was doing manual updates from Microsoft's Download page.

I am pretty sure that I DO have the "Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" since it is in my add ons, and it is active, but when I try to Update it, the "update" button is not active when I select it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try getting Photo Story 3 from here,

http://catalog.micro...?displaylang=en

it should install the genuine advantage validation tool then you can not bother downloading photo story.

Edited by Keith, 29 July 2005 - 07:24 AM.

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Dear Keith,

Thank you for replying quickly to my dilemma. I didn't need to be validated since I already had the "Validation Tool" installed. Photo Story immediately downloaded. I don't have a problem getting downloads from Microsoft's download page. The problem now is that for me to access the Windows Update site, I have to download the Validation Tool again! Which always fails, and thus I have no idea what I need to update my Windows....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up then click view for downloaded programme files, remove the active X controls for Genuine advantage and windows update.

Then go here:

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

to install Microsoft Update

You need direct X 9.0c for some of the updates

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Keith for responding so rapidly! A question: which of these should I remove?

These are all from Microsoft:

{9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F}

{BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} called the DwnldGroupMgrClass

{4B48D5DF-9021-45F7-A240-60304302A215} called the Malicious software removal tool.

{6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} called the MUWebControl Class

{3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} the Office Update Installation Engine

{A8658086-E6AC-4957-BC8E-7D54A7E8A78E} the SassCln Object

{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two ways, one would be to remove the genuine advantage control then look for anything which needs it, photostory 3 etc, which should install it, but if you were having other problems with Windows Update then remove MUWebControl as well and go to Microsoft Update from the link

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Edited by Keith, 29 July 2005 - 12:32 PM.

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith, I removed both the objects you suggested, along with installing Direct X 9 from your link below..... No joy :tazz:

What do I do now? I was able to install the validation tool again but from the Photo Story link, but I still cannot enter my Windows Update page since it tries to install the Validation tool (even though I have it) and fails.

btw. is it going to be a problem that I removed the MUWebControl Class object, and I no longer have it?

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it still do it with the Microsoft Update Link above. I removed the MUWeb control and updates still run and install

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

Intially, after following your instructions, I could not proceed past the download installation of the Validation Tool on the Windows Update page. (Even thought I had downloaded it again thru the Photo Story download). What happened is the same thing as before, installation failed and returned Error Code: 0x80246002. This afternoon (Netherlands time) I retried it and GLORY BE!, I could download the validation tool and proceed further into the Windows Update page! Now the bad thing.... when I try to install the updates that I choose, it always fails and I get the same error code above, or downloading hangs midway or towards the end. This is the same old problem I had before.

p.s.. is there another place to get the .Net Framework 1.1?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is Microsoft version 1.1

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Microsoft version 2.0 BETA

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If those do not work then you can get it here,

http://www.eecs.wsu....et/download.htm

You need the PAINT.NET full installer package at 26.4 mb zip

The programme which comes with it is good.

Advertisements

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Keith!

My Windows Updater is telling me that I need to install .Net Framework 1.1, which would you suggest that I install?

Also, any further thoughts why updater always fails to complete downloading the updates I selected, and returns the error code above?

Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safest to go with 1.1 as 2.0 is beta.

Use the paint.net link

http://www.eecs.wsu....et/download.htm

Use the full installer which is just below the grey boxes

This has paint, a neat programme and .net framework 1.1

Edited by Keith, 31 July 2005 - 11:14 AM.

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

Any new thoughts regarding the error codes I keep getting when downloading from the Microsoft update page?

btw, what does "Paint" do?

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Paint lets you manipulate images.

Did you get .net framework, even so, it hasn't helped.

To clear a couple of things, can you load the XP DC, click cancel when it asks if you want to explore the CD etc, Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you get a blue progess bar which just goes after it has checked things.

When you have an hour where you don't need the PC, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot then press enter and reboot. It will load most of the way then you either get a blank screen or a progress screen, either way, let it run, do not disturb etc, it will get to the desktop but not for at least an hour.

Doing both these will at least check there isn't an error with the drive, or missing or corrupt system files.

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the advice Keith.

I will be downloading the programme today, and run the check that you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

Jan