Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update not working

• Please log in to reply

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith, sorry for the late reply, but the second test went ok. I will let you know when new updates from Windows are released and my computer tries to do an auto update.

Another unrelated problem:
My Macafee AntiVirus will no longer do the automatic updates. When my computer does a check online if an update is needed (and if one is available), what happens is the following:
1) A login screen shows up. I log in with no problems.
2) A screen notifying me that I need to download an active X BRIEFLY appears and then is replaced by
3) The update progress screen, which then fails to download. It says on the bottom right of the screen : Error.

I think there may be a problem with the Active X of Macafee that I originally installed. I tried to update it (using the Manage Add ons) but it would not.

How do I go about fixing this. As of now, I have been manually updating the DAT files of Macafee by downloading the .zip files.

Thanks,
Jan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-installing McAfee should be the quickest option

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

Sorry for not reporting sooner, been busy at work playing catchup!

I can't reinstall Macafee, I don't have the disc. I downloaded the program from their website. Is there any other way to fix it? It sounds as if one of the active X downloads is defective.

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you purchase the download and get a product key, if so you can check with McAfee but you should be able to download and install it again

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

I purchased it online and got 6 months of download support. 6 months have passed and I did not save the installer programme on my PC.

Is there a way that I can remove one of the active x components, and then get it reinstalled when I log in to update?

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, click view files for downloaded programmes, look for any controls for McAfee, left click them, then right click and click delete, confirm the delete

If McAfee also installed a registry key with a timer in, then you wouldn't find it in a million years, as they enter them as complete gobbledegook to prevent circumvention

With Norton, any update problems are usually solved by re-installing their liveupdate, perhaps McAfee is the same

If your McAfee subscription is still valid then their tech support should help you with this, as it is not an installation error, but a programme error

Copperic

Copperic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Keith,

Im having the same problem, I keep getting Error Code: 0x80246002.
Now I downloaded paint.net program got Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.
I went back to look for more updates, There was more Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. It will not let me download this. Any way to get it anywhere?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Copperic

Copperic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok I tryed to dl the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 and it was almost done installing when I get this error
Error 1335 The cabinet file :PCW_CAB_NDR is required.
I now have had this error1335 2x on one other program

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get this with Office

Advertisements

Copperic

Copperic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This is frist time that Ive been getting this error the other program it happends to is Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. Is there a problim on my pc?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

Copperic

Copperic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok I ran the scan(sfc /scannow)
It did not do a thing. still the same prob, So does this mean I cant do a thing to fix it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

Copperic

Copperic

• Pip
  • 6 posts
same old thing.
Anyways Im never going to fix this problem Im going to blam it on micosofts new update v6
thankyou for the help