Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

major xp problem

• Please log in to reply

tommkell

tommkell

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I've got a problem with xp. When you open your browser it freezes a lot of the time. Half the page downloads and then freezes up. This also happens when opening programs in windows. I've tried system restore and also safe mode but with no joy. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hi tommkell

Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi Yarnouth,
I downloaded Hijack This and it wont let me open it. I also tried errorguard and mozilla(in case it was a browser problem) but with the same result. When I open task manager it says Hijack This is taking 96% of the cpu usage but nothing's happening, just like before. I've phone wanadoo and netgear helplines but they reckon its a software problem somewhere. I,ve absolutely no idea what the problem could be. Have you any more ideas? as i havn't a clue what the problem could be. Thanks.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Ok tommkell not to worry. We can try this first:
CWShredder is the first to run. Here's why: If a CoolWebSearch variant is indeed running on your system, it may actually prevent you from running spyware scans. It is smart enough to detect efforts to detect it, and stop them. Download CWShredder to your desktop or other location. Close all browser windows, double click the CWShredder icon to run, then click the Fix -> button. When finished, reboot and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.

When finished, Reboot your computer. Finally, reply to this post with a new HiJackThis log

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
No luck mate, Its exactly the same with CWShredder, I've installed it but it wont run.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Ok, try this:
http://support.micro...;307852&sd=tech

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Nope, its still the same.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Please run a free online virus scan here (tick the "Auto Clean" checkbox):
http://housecall.antivirus.com/

And a free trojan scan here:
http://www.moosoft.com/

This may not work either, but it gives me time to look into it.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
It says applet not found on the virus one.?

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
and the trojan scan setup program wont run!. There is something seriously wrong here.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Can you boot into safe mode? Try pressing F8 right after the initial screen when booting up and choose Safe Mode from the list. Then once you're in run hijack this and save the log to your desktop, then reboot normally connect to the internet and post the log back here. We can go from there.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Can you boot into safe mode? Try pressing F8 right after the initial screen when booting up and choose Safe Mode from the list. Then once you're in run hijack this and save the log to your desktop, then reboot normally connect to the internet and post the log back here. We can go from there.

Also after you post the log put the Windows XP installation disk in the drive and click start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and make sure to leave one space between / and scannow. This will fix all system files back to normal.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Its exactly the same in safe mode. Nothing will open. In task manager their running but not non responsive.

tommkell

tommkell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Its exactly the  same in safe mode. Nothing will open. In task manager their running but non responsive.

View Post

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did you run the system file checker (sfc /scannow)?

-=jonnyrotten=-