Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems performing system restore

• Please log in to reply

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am trying to perform a system restore using Symantec System Restore Version 4.1. Its a CD and floppy disk. It stops at 82 % every time and says there is a 0x80 script error and that the error is critical. The error occurs in Windows/System/Fonts/Matisse.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter. When this has run and says repaired, press enter then ctrl + alt + delete together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files required from the 98 CD.

When this has finished, click start, programmes, accessories, system tools then run scandisk.

After this has finished you should get a better result with system restore.

Edited by Keith, 29 July 2005 - 07:09 AM.

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the help. But, how am I going to get on Start Menu and Windows 98 without running system restore? Do you mean that I should use scandisk.exe to fix the problem. Then run system restore and then try and get onto Windows?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key until you get options then choose command prompt only and type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter you are doing so without involving the complete start up of Windows

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
'When Windows has loaded, click start, programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files required from the 98 CD.'

Sorry to be a nuisance, but how am I going to get on windows without running system restore after ive pressed ctrl alt and delete. You make it sound if I fix the file then I can get on Windows ok without running system restore. Is that right? I'm confused!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to do this bit first

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter. When this has run and says repaired, press enter then ctrl + alt + delete together to reboot.

Then you can run file checker and if these run OK then there should be no reason why you cannot run system restore, though you should check how the PC runs after scanreg and system file check

SPIDES

SPIDES

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have spoken to DOTCOM7 and he says that he cannot do anything to his PC without the system restore disk in, and when he has it in it simply takes him to System restore each time, he cannot access the command prompt section you talked about.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Webby