Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Can I disable the following?

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey just wondering if I can diable the following:

NetMeeting Romote Desktop Sharing,

Telephony,

Termal services (unsure about this one cause I have DSL and I dont want anything to effect my internet),

Windows Firewall/internet Connection Sharing, (I dont use the windows firewall and I am not on a network any more)

Wireless Zero Config

Edited by Tony_1983, 29 July 2005 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
NetMeeting Romote Desktop Sharing--as name implies, it allows someone to remote control your machine if you are both using netmeeting---this is the way we used to do it before remote desktop came along, and is actually pretty slick, but set it to disable

Telephony--this one controls telephony devices on the local computer and is required for dial-up modem connectivity and some dsl...not needed if no connection to internet via these methods...set to manual

Termal services -- this one allows remote login to the your computer so if you use it, you must leave it....it is also required for fast user switching (switch user). Disable if you do not use it....

Windows Firewall/internet Connection Sharing--sounds like you can disable it

Wireless Zero Config --do you use a wireless card? If not, disable, if you do, you can still disable if your wireless card provided a different utility. In fact, it fights with some wireless card utilities. Experiment to see which works better

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw. I CANNOT READ ORANGE

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

NetMeeting Romote Desktop Sharing--as name implies, it allows someone to remote control your machine if you are both using netmeeting---this is the way we used to do it before remote desktop came along, and is actually pretty slick, but set it to disable

Telephony--this one controls telephony devices on the local computer and is required for dial-up modem connectivity and some dsl...not needed if no connection to internet via these methods...set to manual
Termal services -- this one allows remote login to the your computer so if you use it, you must leave it....it is also required for fast user switching (switch user). Disable if you do not use it....

Windows Firewall/internet Connection Sharing--sounds like you can disable it

Wireless Zero Config --do you use a wireless card? If not, disable, if you do, you can still disable if your wireless card provided a different utility. In fact, it fights with some wireless card utilities. Experiment to see which works better

View Post

Thank you for replying to this, this morning gerryf. :tazz: I very much thank you heaps for these answers on what I can disable ;)

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

btw. I CANNOT READ ORANGE

View Post

Ok gerryf, thank you for letting me know :tazz:

Edited by Tony_1983, 29 July 2005 - 09:43 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey peeps,

Just to let you know that if you cannot see a color that I have here in the board at a certin time, please let me know cause I will change the color of the text in here :tazz:

And if you are going to tell me please at least IM me and let me know.