Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-occurring lsass.exe errors

• Please log in to reply

Irishredlr

Irishredlr

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok here is my frustrating story...
A few weeks ago I went to turn on my pc and ended up receiving this error message:
lsass.exe - System error
Indicates a revision number not known by the service. It may be a more recent revision then the service is aware of.

And my pc was stuck in a continual reboot cycle.
I ended up reinstalling XP. Then I was running, Ad-aware SE, McAfee, and Sygate personal firewall, as well as faithfully using windows updates. I also ran some online scans, everything appeared clean.

Now yesterday, I got to turn on my pc and receive this error message:
lsass.exe - System error
When trying to update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

And again caught in a reboot cycle.
I have reinstalled XP again.
When I turned on my pc this morning I received this error message:
Windows File – Protection: Files that are required to run windows properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions to maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files.

I am totally confused and frustrated! I am in the process of setting back up all the "safety precautions" and reloading all of the windows updates.
Was/is this the sasser worm? And if so does anyone know how I can be sure it is gone? Or is it a different problem?
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the CD ROM drive then put the XP CD in the tray, click start, run, type sfc /scannow then press enter and close the CD ROM drive

Windows File Protection will run and replace the files

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This is indicative of a sasser (or variant) infection or leftovers from one. Try running the sasser remove tool.
http://www.sarc.com/...tools.list.html
Make sure you've patched all the security exploits on your system relating the the RPC overflow vulnerabilities.

http://www.microsoft...n/MS04-011.mspx

Like keith said, SFC /scannow to check file integrity too.