Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Few issues

• Please log in to reply

Cook1

Cook1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Orig. Problem:

1st Thing- Task Manager will NOT open. When I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete nothing will happen, so I'll hit it again and it will open briefly for about 2 seconds then close. I believe this may have something to do with #2 and #3.

2nd Thing- CPU is being used by some unknown program. I know this because I DL'd Speedfan and had it opened and watched the CPU usage spike up to 100% down to 34% back up to 78% back down to 4% and etc. It was doing this as I wasn't doing anything, just having the program open. I wanted to check out the CPU usage because the system was getting extremely slow just opening and closing basic programs like Word/Powerpoint etc. Also the CPU fan would speed up when nobody was using the machine.

3rd Thing- Spy Sweeper is picking up a program called Time Manager but can not remove it. The exact file name is TimeManager.exe, could this program be causing #1 and #2? I haven't heard anything about it, and upon trying to do the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software it's not showing up on the list, or a basic search for all files and folders. I've gone and took a peek at the registry briefly but came to realize that it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack without really knowing the location.

Steps I have taken:

http://[email protected]

Started to follow the steps to remove it from the system...now I'm stuck here...

http://securityrespo...istry.keys.html

When I went to click on "UnHookExec.inf" expecting to be an option to DL the file, there wasn't. Right clicked on it and saved it to my desktop then put it on the infected PC. However, when I right click and then choose to install nothing happens and I still can't edit the registry.

**Would also like to add that I can't boot up into safe mode. Even though I am putting in the correct username/password it won't accept it. Just had to restart the notebook and log into windows. And that's where I am now.

Advertisements

Cook1

Cook1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After doing some reading I come across to try an online virus scanner because the ones installed on the system won't work.

So I go for Panda and while it's in the process of installing and scanning my IE has an error and closes.

Seems that everyway I try to get around this worm to get rid of it, it shuts me down!

**Update**

I've gone here:

http://windowsxp.mvp...g/ToolsQuit.htm

And was able to open and change the copies...but my question is, what next? I mean, I need to edit the orignals, not the copies.

Edited by Cook1, 29 July 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray