Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless network problems

• Please log in to reply

easys

easys

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a external (usb)wireless device which is able to connect to my D-link wireless router as soon as i manually configure my ip to within the routers range 192.168.1.100, but then i am not able to connect to the router (or any other web page) when i enter its ip adress in my web browser. As soon as I change ip to automatic config the pc goes way off the ip range and not able to ping the router but wireless stays connected. I am now on the PC that connects via cable to therouter and everything works fine.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
theoretically your router isn't supplying dhcp addresses to your machine....now....how you can get online with out an ip address in the range of your router..i don't know.....are you picking up any other wireless signals?

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no other wireless signals, can't ping router unless manually set TCP/IP settings to within router range, also set router ip as default gateway but thats where knoledge ends don't know other settings.

when all this done only comunication with router is ping no browse wtc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is there any setting that allows you to get to the routers configuration interface?

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
from pc connected via cable yes, there is another wireless notebook that picks up ip automatically from router and works fine

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well go through and verify all of the dhcp settings and what not.

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can't really say I know what they suppose to be but will try! what baffles me is that notebook able to talk to router and browse using automatic tcp/ip settings, but my pc with external usb device is unable to talk to router but defnitley establishes wireless connection with router!
Thanks for bearing with us letknow if further ideas

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dhcp settings sa dhcp server enabled an gives ranges.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...have you updated the drivers for the usb device?

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
done that aswell and working fine as far as i can tell

Advertisements

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
should i use windows utilities, or device's own utilities

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'd try both.......can you do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt for me on both laptops....

easys

easys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
notebook that works fine (with internal wireless) not here. problem machine is a desktop with usb device, will do ipconfig all and let know. on this pc which works fine and is connected by cable and auto tcp/ip settings i get following. see attatched (don't know if it will work)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.doc   66.5KB   21 downloads

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
got it...now the bad one?

easys

easys

• Topic Starter