Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

NO sound from PC

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This morning I started working in my HP pavilion a255c and decided to listen to a CD. The Windows Media Player shows that the CD is in PLAY mode but there is no sound coming out of the speakers ecept for the 'static' for having them at full volume.
I've done the following:
Plug/Unplug everything, restart
Changed speakers from another computer
Worked the whole Troubleshooting stuff including Device Manager stuff etc. The whole time it shows that the device is working properly.
I even ran a full Virus scan with Norton!

It worked fine yesterday when I turned it off. Now it doesn't even give the annoying Windows sound when it is turned OFF and/or ON>

Very, very frustating!!!!!!!!!

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
did you try the speakers from the problem machine on another machine? if you plug earphones into the jack on the cd drive does it work?

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
'dgende', did you try what dsenette suggested?

I did a little Yahoo research and see if this might be your solution.
I do not understand how in the world to do this but hopefully you will!

The poster's question, so similar to yours, is in BOLD.
The reply is not in BOLD.....

Oh, and the one asking the question said the solution WORKED!
Janie :tazz:

Kwibster (TechnicalUser)
20 Dec 04 7:45
Can someone please help or give me advice.

My PC has stopped producing sound. I have been through the trouble shooter to no avail. Even system sounds are not working.

I have Windows XP Pro.

The Device Details are:

Intel® 82801AA AC’97 Audio Controller
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 01/07/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

The Device is enabled and all the checks I have done conclude that the Device is working properly. I have checked the speakers and they are not broken.

It is very frustrating. I would rather an error had come up on the trouble shooter but everything appears normal.

One of the problems is that I do not know precisely when sound failed on the PC because I do not always have the speakers on.

Two weeks ago I installed a new RAM card to boost the RAM. There appeared to be no problems. I definitely had sound before the RAM was installed. However, I do not know if I ever had sound afterwards and cannot say for certain if the RAM installation had anything to do with the loss of sound. In those two weeks I have also had a Windows update. I have taken the new RAM out to see if this would remedy the situation, but this did not work.

What can be wrong? If the speakers work and the device is enabled and apparently working properly, and no errors appear in device manager I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Helpful Member!ski (TechnicalUser)
20 Dec 04 9:15
-Make sure that the onboard sound adapter is enabled in BIOS.

-If ok, then remove the sound adapter from Device Manager, restart the computer, and let Windows reinstall the drivers. Also, make sure the sound card is assigned 01 for DMA(Direct Memory Access) in Dev. Mgr.

-If no luck, then go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio, make sure the sound adapter is selected in the 'Preferred Device' window under 'Playback', click the volume control icon next to the 'Preferred Device' window to adjust volume settings and make sure the Mute box is unchecked, click the Devices tab and click the + by 'Audio Devices' and make sure the circle is checked for 'Use Audio Features On This Device', and the box is unchecked for 'Do Not Map Thru This Device', click the + next to 'Audio Codecs' and make sure there's a long list of codecs(MS, etc.).

-If no luck, then make sure the volume control is properly adjusted in the sound card's software(if applicable).

-If ok, then make sure there is a drivers=mmsystem.dll entry in the system.ini file.

-If ok, then uninstall and reinstall the sound adapter's drivers.

-If all of the above are ok, then the sound adapter may be bad. Install a PCI sound card, and see if it works(You may have to disable the onboard sound adapter either in BIOS, or with a MB jumper).

Kwibster (TechnicalUser)
21 Dec 04 17:51
Worked a dream!

Thank you.

Edited by fflowergirl, 29 July 2005 - 04:16 PM.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
omg. this is the same with my computer. it just makes weird beeping sounds when you IM or open a program. but it never has any sound. but you can plug in headphones and listen to music.