Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GRAPHICS CARD HELP!

• Please log in to reply

GHETT0

GHETT0

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HEllo!

Right now i currently own 2 new dell computers and 1 older gateway. this post is about the gateway. i am not the greatest computer genius but i definatly know alot more than the average kid my age. i am attempting to take the gateway which was running windows 98 and make it a computer just for gaming. it is currently running windows XP and has 4.3 gigabytes out of the original 6 gigs of memory left. i have wiped practically everything except for the necesities(internet explorer ect.).
the only programs remaining are a few i dotn know how to erase, and a n64 emulator which is to be used for gaming. the emulator doesnt work! because it says that my computer doesnt have a hardware accelerated direct3D device and is going to switch to a reference rasterizer (which is VERY SLOW). My guess is that it means i need a new graphics card. i think i currently have a NVidia Riva 128/128ZX (pcpitstop.com told me that) SO FINALLY...........

My QUESTIONs are:

1. I am right? what does needing a hardware accelerated device mean?

2. IF it does mean a graphics card, which is the fastest, and cheapest card that is inexpensive,? (I dont care about the graphics quality as long as they work)

3. what else can i do to make my computer faster?(ex. delete something, cheap ram)

THank you alL!!!!

Edited by GHETT0, 29 July 2005 - 03:35 PM.

Advertisements

ph03n1x

ph03n1x

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i also havea lil question!

i just got a new game. Sadly my computer can't play it cause i only have 128 mb so i need a new graphic card. But i don't know which kind my computer works with. I have a windows XP. Can anyone PLeaZe HELP ME!!!???!!!!?!?!?!?!! :)

oh ghetto u can go to control panel, add/remove items then make sure the useless stuff is gone ;)

i heard Radeonx800 is one of the best but i dont think its the cheapest :tazz:

Edited by ph03n1x, 29 July 2005 - 03:50 PM.

GHETT0

GHETT0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yup already deleted all the programs i could that way. the only other thing that doesnt show up on the add or remove programs is the microsoft movie maker. it doesnt show up under add/remove windows components either so whatever. i am just wondering what is taking up allmost 2 gigs of space.

GHETT0

GHETT0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
also if you wanted to know my computer is a gateway g6-350

ph03n1x

ph03n1x

• Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry but i only know so much. ;) im an average kid when it comes to computers.

oh u said ur gateway was a GAMING computer right? maybe one of the games is taking up space. also some programs cannot be seen use the search bar or something :tazz: thats all i know to my limited intelligence

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Bearing in mind that Windows XP standard installation takes up 1GB and upwards depending on the things that you install.

Tenbroya :tazz:

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well direct3d is a
An API(think of it as a standard) for manipulating and displaying three-dimensional objects. Developed by Microsoft, Direct3D provides programmers with a way to develop 3-D programs that can utilize whatever graphics acceleration device is installed in the machine. Virtually all 3-D accelerator(specialy made processor for graphics) cards for PCs support Direct3D.
(ph03n1x)ya probly right about needing to buy a new graphics card to use that program.

well one of the best ways to optimize the computer for gaming is free up as much ram as possable. like using msconfig in Run and unchecking the programs on the startup tab that are not essental to every startup. like msn aim yahoo mesengers starting up every single time you turn on the computer.
i find that people worry about hard drive space more then how much of the memory(system ram) is used up. hard drive space is important but does not as much of an impact as how much of your ram are used up :-S

more ram can deffintly improve preformance of your computer so would a new video card (quality of video and technology wise) :-) .

ph03n1x

ph03n1x

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i understood 2 words. The and of

and thx i just found i DO need a new card but it costs so much

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ph03n1x

ph03n1x

• Pip
  • 7 posts
cool cool..

GHETT0

GHETT0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i just bought best buy's cheapest card. its a geforce mx 4000 and i dont think i set it up right CAUSE IT DOESNT F***ING WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHH HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Using that language isn't going to get you much in the way of help!!

What is your motherboard and system specs??

Did you even check to see if your mobo could handle that video card or did you just run out and whatever you could afford??

Murray

GHETT0

GHETT0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Did you even check to see if your mobo could handle that video card or did you just run out and whatever you could afford??

i did run and and BUY whatever i could afford yes and it worked.
no i fixed the problem already the graphics are good now, but it just runs slowly. all i need is to get more ram and i dont know how, i did all of those xp tricks/tips already and dont know if you can buy more or what. help me more