Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big problem

• Please log in to reply

OnlineGamer

OnlineGamer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well im on my laptop now :tazz: but my gaming pc i built was running fine lately i did a reformat yesterday and reinstalled everything today and had the side off to keep it cool cause i was installing a lot of stuff today. so i started playing medal of honor and it just shut off completely to where only the green motherboard light was on i waited liek 15 misn and tried turng it on again the fans will jitter a lil bit i keep trying to turn it on and it wont turn on i now have a fan blowing on the inside and its fairly cool but it still wont even turn on.....please help me

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
List the specs, I'm sure someone will have an idea or 5.
Brands / Models etc.

Any funky smells coming from the PC?
(Make sure nothing decided to pop for no reason etc.)

OnlineGamer

OnlineGamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
amd atholon 3500+
windows xp
1 gig ram
ge force 6600 gtoc
120 gig hd
300w power supply
pci network card
4 fans

not really any funky smells maybe a lil one from the power supply but nothing noticeable

OnlineGamer

OnlineGamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
could it possibly be the power supply that is the problem? i nbever had any troubles before....

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

and tried turng it on again the fans will jitter a lil bit

Does this mean the fans won't turn on fully? If so, I think you nailed it on the head when you mentioned "power supply". Do you have one you can swap in? Also, this may sound rediculous, but change the AC cord... sometimes they do go bad.

makai

Edited by makai, 30 July 2005 - 12:17 PM.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello OnlineGamer,

Gaming PC's usually should have more than a 400 watt PSU. That's probably isn't the problem as you ran it fine before.

It can be your video card. Either damaged or completely broken. If you see no picture on the monitor, and the green motherboard light is on, then it's most likely your graphic card. Your computer was still on, but your graphic card failed. Try swapping cards and seeing if it changes anything.

Good Luck,
Matt

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're running an Athlon XP3500+ with 1GB Ram & Geforce 6600 etc etc with a 300W PSU?! I think that may be the problem actually. I can't promise thats the only problem but running that system with a 300W psu WILL cause you problems.

I would replace the PSU anyway for a decent one, ideally 500W.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It does sound like the PSU si the problem and not the graphics card. Also you might want to keep the sides of the case on do you get proper airflow modern cases are designed to work best with the sides on to maintain good pressure and air flow so unless you have a desk fan blowing inside it to keep it cool the side should be kept on.