Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Persistent Smitfraud-C Removal [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there, And ;)

I have been successfully running Windows XP with ServicePack2 using Norton AV, SpyBot and GoGoData’s Adbuster for protection: all regularly updated. Malware has until a few days ago been successfully intercepted and removed by them. Then it all changed when the desktop went black except for text announcing that I had a virus and I should cure it by clicking on a link, which I did NOT do of course.

Then pop-ups which appeared to be from NortonAV started stating that I had been infected by “bloodhound.w32.ep”. I checked with CastleCops and Norton’s list, didn’t get very far. I downloaded Ad-awareSE and repeatedly scanned with this and the others. Upon closing down, I have noticed a program that was reluctant to close: CCApp.exe.

Accessing The Net from another computer I realised that Norton had been compromised. Uninstalling Norton and reinstalling it made things worse. After installation, Norton would attempt to update its status: then everything in its status screen would turn red. I have now uninstalled Norton and replaced it with AVG. Also, if I attempt a search using Windows Explorer its pane corrupts and an icon of a dog appears in the lower left corner of it. Oh, and I cannot update XP with the latest security patches because the windowsupdate page is blocked, returning a blank screen.

Having found GeeksToGo I have downloaded and updated the indicated software and have followed the clean up routine you have suggested. The only departures have been to scan with XClean via the GoGoData Toolbar and to install SpyWareBlaster. All this has taken a great deal of time. It has removed a great deal of Malware, but not everything.

Now all of the scans return negative results except for SpyBot, which detects “smitfraud-C” but cannot remove it. I still cannot access windowsupdate and I still have that annoying dog :tazz:

Many thanks in anticipation

Scirocco

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the log from HiJackThis:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:42:43, on 29/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgfwsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\DRIVERS\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Coolwallpaper\cwm_tray.exe
C:\DRIVERS\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp5Pro\winampa.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Tiscali\tkonnect\tkonnect.exe
C:\Program Files\GoGoData.com\GoGoData Toolbar\GoGoTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\ADBUST~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.euro.dell...gen/default.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank-sa
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Tiscali
O2 - BHO: GoGoData AdBuster - {3EB9C349-7473-48AC-A59B-42F31751974B} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: GoGoData AdBuster - {3EB9C349-7473-48AC-A59B-42F31751974B} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\DRIVERS\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolWallpaperSoftware] C:\Program Files\Coolwallpaper\cwm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\DRIVERS\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp5Pro\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [tkonnect] C:\Program Files\Tiscali\tkonnect\tkonnect.exe updatemode
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoGoTray.exe] C:\Program Files\GoGoData.com\GoGoData Toolbar\GoGoTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {7B6E4BB4-8464-47CF-9A5B-F82F6B408A6E} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: GoGoData AdBuster - {7B6E4BB4-8464-47CF-9A5B-F82F6B408A6E} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\avgfwafu.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.tiscali.co.uk/
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {31B7EB4E-8B4B-11D1-A789-00A0CC6651A8} (Cult3D ActiveX Player) - http://host.cycore.n...E_5.3.0.228.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122360981711
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (AVGFwSrv) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgfwsrv.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Welcome Scirocco to Geeks to Go!

Please read these instructions carefully. You may want to print them. Copy the text to a Notepad file and save it to your desktop! We will need the file later.
Be sure to follow ALL instructions!

Download the Hoster Here
Please do not use program yet

Unzip Hoster to your desktop

Open up the Hoster program.
  • Make sure that the "make hosts writable?" button in the upper right corner is enabled.
  • Click back up Host files
  • then click Restore orginal host files
  • close program

Download SmitRem to your desktop.
Right click on the file and extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Place a shortcut to Panda ActiveScan on your desktop.

Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.

The program will now go to the main screen
[/list]You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.On the left hand side of the main screen click update
Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the updates are installed, close Ewido for now.

If you have not already installed Ad-Aware SE 1.06, please download and install AdAware SE 1.06.
Check Here on how setup and use it - please make sure you update it first.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site:
http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml

Open HijackThis
Place a check against each of the following, making sure you get them all and not any others by mistake:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank-sa

Close all programs leaving only HijackThis running.
Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

Open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.
The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed.
Post me the contents of the smitfiles.txt log as you post back.

Open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

Now open Ewido Security Suite:* Click on scanner
* Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
* During the scan it will prompt you to clean files, click OK
* When the scan is finished, look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
* Save the report to your desktop
Reboot your computer.

Next go to Control Panel click Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Web > Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

Reboot back into Windows and click the Panda ActiveScan shortcut, then do a full system scan. Make sure the autoclean box is checked!
Save the scan log and post it along with a new HijackThis Log, the contents of the smitfiles.txt log and the Ewido Log by using Add Reply.

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi g2i2r4,

First of all, a very big thank you for replying to my post, your help is very much appreciated. Secondly, I do apologise for my delay in responding. I had lost so much time last week trying to sort out the problem before I discovered GeeksToGo that all the things I should have been doing have caught me up!

Anyway, back to the plot. As this is a working computer, it has seen some activity since my original post. So in an attempt to get back to where we were, I have executed the original clean up routine again before I started your post instructions.

I have followed everything as requested. I “lost” the HiJackThis log during the process, so HiJackThis log included is a second run at the end. For good measure I have run SpyBot again as it is the only scan that registers SmitFraud. After all this effort, SpyBot is still reporting its presence in 40 files. And I still have that dog appearing if I try to use Windows Explorer Search.

Generally, I access the internet using laptop these log files are from via a home network to the pc connected to the internet. Not surprising, this PC is infected too. I shall be posting the HiJackThis log from the PC in another post later tonight.

I look forward to your next response. Once again, thanks for your help.

Scirocco

The log files as requested:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan saved at 01:16:37, on 05/08/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Nokia\NOKIAP~1\VFSWRA~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\DATALA~1\DATALA~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.euro.dell...gen/default.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Tiscali
O2 - BHO: GoGoData AdBuster - {3EB9C349-7473-48AC-A59B-42F31751974B} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: GoGoData AdBuster - {3EB9C349-7473-48AC-A59B-42F31751974B} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\DRIVERS\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolWallpaperSoftware] C:\Program Files\Coolwallpaper\cwm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\DRIVERS\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp5Pro\winampa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [tkonnect] C:\Program Files\Tiscali\tkonnect\tkonnect.exe updatemode
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoGoTray.exe] C:\Program Files\GoGoData.com\GoGoData Toolbar\GoGoTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {7B6E4BB4-8464-47CF-9A5B-F82F6B408A6E} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: GoGoData AdBuster - {7B6E4BB4-8464-47CF-9A5B-F82F6B408A6E} - C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\TOMAHA~1.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.tiscali.co.uk/
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {31B7EB4E-8B4B-11D1-A789-00A0CC6651A8} (Cult3D ActiveX Player) - http://host.cycore.n...E_5.3.0.228.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1122360981711
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (AVGFwSrv) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgfwsrv.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smitRem log file
version 2.2

by noahdfear

The current date is: 04/08/2005
The current time is: 23:04:37.87

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShudderLTD key present! Running LTDFix!

ShudderLTD key was successfully removed! :tazz:

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

cars

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

logfiles

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

sites.ini

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

CLEAN! ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report

+ Created on: 01:12:18, 05/08/2005
+ Report-Checksum: F5B62C00

+ Scan result:

No infected objects found.

::Report End

ActiveScan log

Incident Status Location

Possible Virus. No disinfected C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\Tools\Process Viewer\ProcessViewer.exe
Virus:W32/Smitfraud.D Disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP287\A0031851.dll
Adware:Adware/Beginto No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP287\A0031906.dll
Virus:W32/Smitfraud.D Disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP289\A0032819.dll
Spyware:Spyware/Smitfraud No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP314\A0035810.dll
Adware:adware/ipinsight No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\alchem.ini
Adware:Adware/ISearch No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\initial.inf
Adware:Adware/IPInsight No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\INF\alchem.inf
Spyware:spyware/whazit No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\kyf.dat
Adware:adware/twain-tech No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\twaintec.ini

-------------------------END OF POST 2005/08/05---------------------------------

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Panda recognised part of Trojan Hunter, but we want that to stay.

Some items are found in System Restore. We will create a new restorepoint and remove the old one when we are done cleaning.

Let's remove the ones Panda left behinds that are really bad.

Download the Killbox.
Unzip it to the desktop

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Place the following lines (complete paths) in bold in the "Full Path of File to Delete" box in Killbox, and click the red button with the white X on it after each

C:\WINDOWS\alchem.ini
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\initial.inf
C:\WINDOWS\INF\alchem.inf
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\kyf.dat
C:\WINDOWS\twaintec.ini

For these file, put a mark next to "Delete on Reboot". Copy and paste each file into the file name box, then click the red button with the X after each. It will ask you if you want to reboot each time you click it, answer NO until after you've pasted the last file name, at which time you should answer Yes.

If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

We are looking into the finding from Spybot. Looks like they are related to a security program.
Can you post me an uninstall list?
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the configure button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • Click on the Box that says "Uninstall Manager"
  • Click on the button "Save list"
  • Copy and past the List from notepad into your post
The dog in Windows Explorer comes with Windows.
I take it we are talking about the dog reading a book/licking a bone when you are searching for say a file?
Right clicking it will bring up a set of options, one of which is turn off the animated character, another choice is change it.
It's a harmless little dog thou.. :tazz:

EDIT:
As there has been no reply from the original poster for more than two weeks this topic is now closed.

If you are the original poster and still need assistance, please send me a PM.

Edited by g2i2r4, 20 August 2005 - 01:24 PM.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Scirocco

As you requested I re-opened the topic.

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi G2i2r2

Thanks for re-opening the post.

As requested I have

1) upgraded SpyBot to 1.4
2) re-run HiJackThis and include the logfile below

For good measure, I have also inlcuded a copy of the SpyBot log file.

Apart from the Smitfraud-C problem, everything seems to be working ok. I have run "TuneUpUtilites2004" to tidy up the registries. Have you used TU, if so what do you think of it? Or is there a similar program you would recommend?

Many thanks

Scirocco

Scan saved at 21:05:58, on 25/08/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Coolwallpaper\cwm_tray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Drivers\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\GoGoData.com\GoGoData Toolbar\GoGoTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\GoGoData.com\GOGODA~3\ADBUST~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgfwsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Drivers\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1124277605099
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp WinStyler Theme Service (TUWinStylerThemeSvc) - TuneUp Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2004\WinStylerThemeSvc.exe

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

SpyBot LogFile - 050825

Smitfraud-C. User settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY USERS\S-1-5-21-3990708003-2959008633-1238661117-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\adulthell.com\
*!=W=4
HKEY USERS\S-1-5-21-3990708003-2959008633-1238661117-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\bin.wordsx.cc\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\cc20foreva.co
m\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\crl.thawte.co
m\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\datingforlove.
org\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\dl.ad-ware.cc\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\e-finder.cc\*!
=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ewizard.cc\*!
=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\fast-look.com\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\free-spy-cam.
net\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\[bleep]-[bleep].org\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\ga31.com\*!=
W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\greg-tut.com\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\letgohome.co
m\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\love-catalog.n
et\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\makechoice.co
m\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\meetyourfrien
d.biz\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\msnprotection
.com\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\new.8ad.com\
*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\s13.remove.cc
\*!=W=4

Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\s2.kav.cc\*!=
W=4

------------------------- End of Post 25 Aug 2005 ---------------------

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
As for the Spybot finding, as I've been told they are part of a block list found. A block list prevents you from visiting sites that could harm your computer. I'd leave them.

I don't use TuneUp. It is a program that makes changes to the Registry, so be very carefull what you have it do. A corrupt Registry is a broken down computer.
So I'm not saying it's bad, just be carefull.

Your HijackThis log looks clean.
Shall I post you some tips for the future and close the topic as "resolved"?

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If this setup on my laptop is now clean, then by all means lets close this topic.

I would of course be glad of any tips you wish to pass on. I still have the PC that I use to connect to The Net to sort out beyond the standard clean up routine. So your tips may help me get a bit further along before try asking for help on that one on a new post.

Many thanks once again fro your help.

Scirocco

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
I've received new information. We do need to do just one more thing on those finding for Spybot:

Download: deldomains.
To use: right-click and select: Install (no need to restart)
Should the link above display the text instead of downloading the file, then copy & paste the text into notepad and save the file as DellDomains.inf
Note: This will remove all entries in the "Trusted Zone" and "Ranges" also.

This should remove those findings. Please reboot and rerun Spybot for me. Let me know the results.

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there

Once again I aoplogise for the delay in replying: thinking we had resolved everything I didnt attach much urgency to the follow-up. So thanks for letting me know there was more to check and indeed for keeping this post open.

I have installed deldomains as requested and attach logfiles from SpyBot, both from before installiing deldomains and after.

SpyBot now says its all clean! Cheers g2i2r4 :tazz:

Do I leave deldomains installed or should I now uninstall it? If so, how please?

Many thanks once again,

Scirocco

ps I will make a PayPay donation after I have uploaded this post.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Weldone! :tazz:

If you rightclicked the link, you don't have to do anything. It's installed and that's ok.
If you had to safe the file, remove the file.

Thanks for your donation :)

Shall I post you some tips for the future and close the topic then?

Scirocco

Scirocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi again

Yes, by all means close this post. Thanks again for you help: very much appreciated.

I look forward to receiving your tips.

Cheers

Scirocco

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
You're welcome!

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and re-enable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Re-enable system restore with the instructions from the tutorial above

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & Hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware – Download and install Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.