Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0xD1 stop error messege!

• Please log in to reply

nuhorizon

nuhorizon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my friend tells me his computer keeps restarting at random moments. So i look at his computer and after 5 min, it restarted. So i tried using it again, and it restarted again..i tried running a virus scanner, it picked up a few viruses..and it restarted again , so i really couldnt do anything with it, even in safe mode it would restart....so my only idea was to re install xp. so as i was deleting the partition, i re installed xp afterwards, and as it was formatting..that blue screen came up. it was a ***STOP: 0x000000D1 error.

now, there is no OS on the drive now, so i cant go into windows and try changing hardware settings or anything like that. what can i do now?

thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Load the XP CD, make sure it is clean, don't snap it, I've done it, anyway, it should run set up and format OK, did you try quick or default

nuhorizon

nuhorizon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the xp CD is all good- i choose NTFS default format. but that 0xD1 error will show up.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try quick format just to see if it runs OK, it is unlikely to do OxD twice

nuhorizon

nuhorizon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hahaa, oh man.. quick format works, then the windows screen comes up where i have to wait until it installs everything...then the screen came on again.. it said:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
0x0000009C

then i'll restart and it'll give me a 0x000000C5 error

i'll restart again and i'll give me a 0x0000008E error

aand once again it'll give me a 0x0000007E error.... could it be that the hard drive has currupted from a virus on his computer? cuz his computer was restarting constantly, and he did have a few viruses i saw from the anti virus program but the computer kept restarting so i couldnt really do anything about it. even in safe mode.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There shouldn't be anything on the drive after the format, I would try with another XP CD, use yours just to see if it installs, you can easily wipe it and get Microsoft to replace his disc. You should consider having the drive checked if it still does it with another XP CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use another CD ROM Drive if the PC has one.

Try using boot disks

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

Get the correct ones for the version you are installing