Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 98 will not start

• Please log in to reply

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I need some major help. When I start my desk top computer, the system goes through all the verbiage and number on the black screen and then I receive the Windows Icon (blue screen) with Microsoft Windows 98. The little blue strip at the bottom will indicate that the system is trying to load, because the darker blue with scroll from left to right. However, at some point it will stop and will not proceed any further.

I've run adware and spybot (safe mode) and cleaned the system up and the ran disk defrag. After doing these I tried to start the sustem, with the same results.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

bandedenculer

bandedenculer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Are you able to boot to safe mode?
http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Are you able to boot to safe mode?
http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx

View Post

Yes, I can boot in safe mode. When the computer starts it will go to the screen that states that I did not logout correctly and then it gives me 6-7 options to select. When I select normal my computer will "lock," as described above. However, when I select safe mode the computer will log on correctly, but the icons are larger.

It was in safe mode that I ran spybot, adware and disk defrag.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Restart your computer in dos mode.

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore (Note the space between scanreg and the forward slash).

Choose a recovery date and hopefully one of them will work.

makai

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore  (Note the space between scanreg and the forward slash).

makai

View Post

This may be a stupid question, but how do I do that?

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Since you're getting the Windows boot menu everytime, it should list "Command Prompt Ony"
Thats Windows for DOS mode. :tazz:

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore  (Note the space between scanreg and the forward slash).

makai

View Post

I did what you requested and selected a date. The system started to restore, but then I received this message, "System restore operation failed." I went back and selected an additional date, with the same results.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I did what you requested and selected a date. The system started to restore, but then I received this message, "System restore operation failed." I went back and selected an additional date, with the same results.

Yes, unfortunately that's the nature of restoration with windows... it's always hit or miss!

The way I look at it, you have several options...

1) connect your hard drive to another computer as a "slave" (jumpers must be set correctly with the host computer hard drive set to "master", and this drive set to "slave"), then transfer your personal data to the host computer for safe keeping.

2) reinstall windows "over the top". Boot with the Win98 floppy disk, and enable CD support, and put your Win98 CD in the drive. Win98 is smart enough to reinstall right over the top and not mess with your other files. Some programs may not work after the installation and may need reinstallation, but your personal data should not be touched. There is some risk in this as if windows coughs, it may mess up your files... so if possible, do number 1 first.

3) if your data is not important, just reinstall windows over the top of the current installation, or format the drive and do a clean install.

Win98 will "always" crash at some time or another. This is just the nature of the beast. It may be worth it to go with XP if possible. Of course, XP can also have problems, but it is "much" more stable.

If you need further help with any of this, please post back.

makai