Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help..wallpaper driving me nuts!

• Please log in to reply

mistyk1313

mistyk1313

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro with two admin accounts and one limited 'guest' account. All of a sudden when I turned my PC on one day all the wallpaper was the same picture. If you change it on one they all change.

I have looked through the account settings and cannot find anything to fix this.

Please help as I cant take much more of looking at my wifes wallpaper!!!!

Thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you using a third-party wallpaper program? I have seen this with Webshots in that if you use it's wallpaper capability, it will display the same wallpaper for all users.

makai

mistyk1313

mistyk1313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I am not using any type of third-party program. I am just downloading and right clicking 'set as wallpaper'.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I am just downloading and right clicking 'set as wallpaper'

What are you right clicking on? "Downloading" from where... the net? In what application are you doing this?

makai

mistyk1313

mistyk1313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am just going to various free wallpaper sites on the net and downloading pictures using 'save as' and then right clicking the picture and choosing 'set as desktop background'.. No software at all.

Edited by mistyk1313, 30 July 2005 - 03:29 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

'set as desktop background'.. No software at all.

That's funny, all my XP machines (3 of them) don't have this option in the right-click menu.

Are you certain no program interjected this menu option?

I'll ask the fellow techs here if they have this right-click option in their menus, and see what they say. Please check back on this post at a later time as I don't know when the other techs may respond.

By the way, are you "saving as" jpegs, bitmaps, or ????

makai

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have these options with right click

[attachment=2716:attachment]

Edited by Keith, 31 July 2005 - 03:27 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:tazz: Duplicated itself

Edited by Keith, 31 July 2005 - 03:26 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok...

I did some checking on my own machine and looked through Group policies. There are some settings that would likely cause your problem.

Go to Start/run ... type in gpedit.msc

In the Group Policy window, expand User Configuration/Admistrative Templates/Desktop... then click on the Active Desktop folder and check to see if anything in the folder is "enabled"... specifically Active Desktop Wallpaper

Also go to User Configuration/Admistrative Templates/Control Panel... click on the Display folder and check if Prevent changing wallpaper is enabled.

If either one is enabled, double-click on the policy and change it to Not configured.

Also, from one of the other techs (Metallica)... check out this link..
http://www.microsoft...ed/desktop.mspx

Let us know how it goes.

makai

Edited by makai, 31 July 2005 - 12:16 PM.

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have the option to 'right click' on any picture (I use my own digital downloaded flower pictures stored on my computer) then click on 'set as desktop background' and they are there to see when I close out of Internet sites or email accounts.

MY 'wallpaper' stays the same unless I change pictures.

Don't have a clue why yours are changing.
Is someone changing them??? :tazz:

Sounds like makai has a solution for you....sure worth a try.

Janie ;)

mistyk1313

mistyk1313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I was away for the last two days and didnt get a chance to check this thread.

Makai, I checked both "Active Desktop Wallpaper" and "Prevent changing wallpaper" and they were both labelled "Not configured"...

On a separate note nothing in either folder was labelled "enabled". (not sure if this matters at all)

Thanks for all the help but the problem still exists.

And in response to your earlier post: they are Jpegs and recently they have been pics transfered from my digital camera that are residing on my HD that have been used as background, and still the same result.

Zzzzzz

Zzzzzz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey fflowergirl,

I too am having the same issue and have for a while I am just now looking at figuring out why. I am an advanced Windows user and this one is a mystery! :tazz: Let's run down a list of software you have installed and see if we have a common denominator. As far as settings I have read this post as well as others and none of the solutions have cleared it up, albeit helpful to double check and eliminate!

Zzzzzz