Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply

alphanov

alphanov

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

I keep my PC (running XP Pro & latest patches) up to date, run a software firewall (and an SPI firewall in my router), spybot s&d, adaware & up to date virus scanner.

I was using my PC this morning (no the one I'm on at the moment) and received several updates whilst I was browsing a photography forum. I didn't accept the "restart now" option because I would do that at a later time. After I had finished I rebooted the PC and found that I couldn't enter my password - the keyboard didn't register any keystrokes (although you could toggle the "numlock" LED). I rebooted again only to find that the same thing happened and it was then that I noticed that I didn't have a mouse pointer. Moving the mouse revealed that the pointer was at the bottom left of the screen and wouldn't move away from there!

I rebooted into safe mode - my keyboard worked but the mouse was still at the bottom left of the screen. I "rolled back" to a prior point in time and when the PC rebooted I still had the same problem.

Any ideas?

There seems to be some strange things happening lately! My son has had problems with his PC and a work colleague also.

Regards
--

Nev

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Keyboard not working alphanov
Date: 30th July- 2005

Yes, there seems to be quite a few Keyboard issues – and USB issues too. There are several postings with same issues. Look in [HARDWARE, COMPONENTS & PERIPHERALS] Section

Need some system info 1st: (Trying to establish a starting point & Game Plan)

1- PC Type: Laptop – Desktop – Tower
2- Motherboard : Name & Model –RAM Installed – CPU
3- Operating System & Service Pack installed – Fresh Install or Update from WIN-98
4- Keyboard info: Name – USB – PS2 – Wireless
5- Mouse info: Name – USB – PS2 – Optical – Mechanical – IR -
6- USB: How many ports – Any HUBS – List Devices & any strange problems
7- PC: How old –
8- Network Is PC on a network? other computers have same problem?

What were the “UPDATES” that you received? Microsoft? –

How many Antivirus programs are running at same time?? Most of these programs, when installed, tend to launch when Windows is loaded. Check Task Manager to see how many are running. They step all over each other – they often conflict and add delays. It is best to just run 1.

Any new hardware recently? Any added Software lately? Any repairs / updates?

There is one thing to do: >> Disconnect – inspect [EXTERNAL CONNECTORS] (for bent pins – both ends) – reconnect – (ONE AT TIME) to verify that nothing has been bumped or snagged loose.

Try to find out what those updates were . . . .My – 1st thought is to verify the drivers for Mouse & Keyboard has not been compromised by these updates. . . . My – 2nd thought is to check your BIOS settings.

Post back the info & any other events that you can recall or useful info
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 30 July 2005 - 12:38 PM.

alphanov

alphanov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Jack123

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response.

Taking your questions in order...

Q1- PC Type: Laptop – Desktop – Tower
A- Tower

Q2- Motherboard : Name & Model –RAM Installed – CPU
A - not certain (can check later) - 512MB - AMD Athlon 2200+

Q3- Operating System & Service Pack installed – Fresh Install or Update from WIN-98
A - XP Pro SP2 (fully patched) - Fresh install

Q4- Keyboard info: Name – USB – PS2 – Wireless
A - not certain (can check) but PS2

Q5- Mouse info: Name – USB – PS2 – Optical – Mechanical – IR -
A - unbranded but mechanical PS2

Q6- USB: How many ports – Any HUBS – List Devices & any strange problems
A - USB 1.0 2 onboard + 4 port internal hub; USB 2.0 2 on Belkin PCI card

Q7- PC: How old –
A - Approx 2 years

Q8- Network Is PC on a network? other computers have same problem?
A - connected via 4 port router - 2 wired PCs + 4 wireless PCs - no file or printer sharing -- no similar problems on other machines

Microsoft updates received

One AV program running (AVG) with latest virus definitions (using Windows firewall plus SPI firewall in Linksys WRT54G router)

No new hardware added - was using machine normally just prior to "reboot" No new software. No repairs but Microsoft updates received.

Hardware fine - problem started following reboot. Can toggle CAPS & NUM lock and see LED change. Keyboard works in SAFE mode and can see top of mouse pointer at lower left of screen - moves around when mouse moves but, as best as I can describe, appears to be constrained to a small area at the bottom left of the screen. (Haven't run MOUSE Test in control panel when in safe mode to see if it sees the buttons - but will do)

I'll have a look at the updates to identify them but have "rolled back" by 2 weeks (the last time I used the PC) with no improvement. Would this have "undone" the updates?

I've checked the BIOS settings and all appeared, to the best of my memory, unaltered. I forced a "reload" of the default settings to see if that altered anything - it didn't. I am going to clear the CMOS, by moving the jumper, to see if that has any effect.

I'll try a USB mouse to see if that's recognised and check info on keyboard and mouse drivers to see if there's any change.

Thanks again.

--

Nev

alphanov

alphanov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Jack123

Have sorted it now - thanks.

I booted into safe mode and removed mouse & keyboard drivers via the control panel. Once rebooted everything was back to normal. I haven't let the PC apply the updates that it immediately downloaded yet!

Thanks again!

--

Nev

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Keyboard not working alphanov
Date: 9th AUG- 2005

OK – Great Job on “Tracking” down Keyboard Problem.

Do you think that the [Downloaded Updates], was the cause of Keyboard Failure? What were these Updates for – [MS WINDOWS]?? Do you have information of [Download] – such as:

1 – Date
2 – Name of Update
3 – From whom?

Were you able to relate this problem to your son’s problem and/or to your colleague at work?

I think you could help a lot of people that are “browsing” this FORUM, by Posting your experience of Keyboard Failure & an Outline of Repair/Fix. You could Title it:

A LIKLEY KEYBOARD FAILURE – ROOT CAUSE:
(MS Windows – UPDATE – XX/YY/2005)

1 – Give a brief synopsis of events leading to the Keyboard Failure
2 – Describe Download & Date of Download
3 – Give a brief summary of Download & its Keyboard related problems – (if you can)
4 – Give brief Theory/Summary of Repair
5 – Make brief Outline of Repair Steps

Make the Post in [HARDWARE-COMPONENTS-PERIPHERALS-] Section.

For my information: What is MFG of your Keyboard? . . . Probably not MS if the download “Whacked It”
How about your son’s Keyboard and your colleague?? You could pose this question in the POST as well. It could be good information to keep track of.

The Credit is all yours – All I did: Was asked the [RIGHT QUESTION]. You did the FIX !!

– Hope to see a New Post from you soon –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 09 August 2005 - 04:12 PM.

alphanov

alphanov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Jack123

Will post a report in the forum that you have suggested but will get all details of UPDATES that it received and allow it to repeat the event. If it happens again I will block autoupdates and update one at a time to isolate.

You are correct in your assumption the keyboard is not an MS one but a "third party" one. I will get the manufacturer details and include in post.

Thanks again!

--

Nev