Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia Display Driver Not Working

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
On many laptops, you cannot replace the videocard as it is integrated into the motherboard (this is changing, slowly)

Speedfan can allow you to change the threshhold for when your fan kicks in (if your hardware allows it)
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Fans can wear out......They should last for the life of a laptop, but in dirty environments where they work harder they often do not. I do not mean to imply your house is dirty.

There is a big difference between a clean room where laptops are tested and a typical office. I find that homes with cats often lead to issues for some reason their hair is a magnet to cpu fans.

Incidentally, for cleaning old drivers (again, I think the hardware is the problem), drop into safe mode, remove the the drivers through control panel add/remove, then run driver cleaner pro

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

then reinstall the drivers.

With laptops, it is generally best to use the drivers from the manufacturer, or barring that, mod the drivers with mobility modder

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

OR use Omega drivers, which tend to be a little more stable

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Advertisements

Mindy3333

Mindy3333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

On many laptops, you cannot replace the videocard as it is integrated into the motherboard (this is changing, slowly)

Speedfan can allow you to change the threshhold for when your fan kicks in (if your hardware allows it)
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Fans can wear out......They should last for the life of a laptop, but in dirty environments where they work harder they often do not. I do not mean to imply your house is dirty.

There is a big difference between a clean room where laptops are tested and a typical office. I find that homes with cats often lead to issues for some reason their hair is a magnet to cpu fans.

Incidentally, for cleaning old drivers (again, I think the hardware is the problem), drop into safe mode, remove the the drivers through control panel add/remove, then run driver cleaner pro

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

then reinstall the drivers.

With laptops, it is generally best to use the drivers from the manufacturer, or barring that, mod the drivers with mobility modder

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

OR use Omega drivers, which tend to be a little more stable

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

View Post

Thanks gerryf! I'll try these and let you know what happens.

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hello Mindy!!

Please use detonator RIP or nVHardpage cleaner to clean your display drivers. (after uninstalling from add / rem programs in Control Panel) Then install the original drivers.

Make sure all your mobo drivers are properly installed..... specially memory controller, AGP bridge etc. (Right Click My Computer> Properties>Hardware>Device Manager> ) Look for yellow "!".

If not present, then expand "System Devices" press ALT+Print screen. Go to paintbrush, Click > Edit> Paste. Save the image and post it here. I want to see that branch.

Whats your notebooks complete model no?

widewell

widewell

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So I took the laptop apart. Cleaned it out with air and alcohol, put in new thermal solution on the CPU and the chip under the graphics card. I also installed the Omega drivers. After powering up and using it for a while it actually seemed to be worse, warmer and more unstable. So I switched drivers to the new 78 drivers from Toshiba and then installed the one thing that seems to make a difference the fan control program, which seems to keep the temperature regulated, but I am not sure what impact it will have long term. Seems ok for now.

Apparently our problem is faily common, in the process of figuering out how to disassemble the laptop I found this thread:

http://www.notebookf...hp/t-48948.html

Its such a common problem that it does seem like a design flaw.

sachinab

sachinab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I didn't imagine this would be such a common problem. I started having similar problem with my Toshiba satellite 2410 with Nvidia GeForce2 420 Go display adaptor, after I upgraded WinXP Pro from Sp1 to Sp2.

I have exactly the same symptoms that Mixima had, and followed all suggestions from Alfaman (9th Sep). I notice two scenarios:

A) Nvidia display adaptor active: (I am not sure if Mixima has same phenomena)
In Display properties->Settings I see two monitors
1. Multiple monitors on Nvidia Geforce4 420 Go (Microsoft Corp). "Use this device as primary monitor" is ticked and is greyed-out. The maximum possible resolution is 969X768
2. Default monitor on Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go (Mocrosoft Corp). "Use this device as primary monitor" is un-ticked and is greyed-out. Higher resolutions are possible.

Starting any graphic hungry software gives error as all applications start on monitor 1, which has too low resolution. Will it help to set the 2 as primary monitor? If yes, how ? Because "Use this device as primary monitor" is greyed out!!

B) Nvidia display adaptor disabled:
The default driver is used now. Though the usual pixels are restored,
- Display is very slow to refresh. The "Refresh rate" setting shows only one option for the default monitor "Use default ...". Can't change anything here.
- The "hibernate" option is no longer available from the Start- Shut Down menu.

Anyone who knows or has solved this, pls help..

Sachin

alfaman

alfaman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Sachin,

Unfortunately, by disabling the nVidia driver and reverting to the default driver, some options will no longer be available. Of course, my original concern was to restore the full pixel display - target achieved !

Curiously, I haven't noticed any practical delay in refresh rate, and although the laptop is used almost exclusively for business applications rather than gaming, it has no problem in handling largish graphic files in Photoshop.

Sorry not to be of further help but there is almost certainly one or more design faults with such laptops.

alfa.

Edited by alfaman, 14 October 2005 - 02:51 AM.

sachinab

sachinab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Alfaman,

Thanks for your update. The problem is when I want to use graphic intensive applications like video editing & stuff, I have to switch to Default monitor because it gives me 1024X768 resolution, albeit with poor refresh rate (which is frustrating). But for my day to day office work refresh rate becomes vital, so I have to switch back to the crazy 969X... resolution.

I guess I will chase the Toshiba support guys to help me. Anyways, thanks again for your suggestions.

BR,
Sachin

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Look I may sound stupid..... but have you installed "ALL" nForce drivers? Including AGP GART, bridge memctl etc etc?

I mean when something's meant to do something, it's supposed to do it anyhow, no matter how bad.
For eg:- Intel GMA 900 is supposed to have hardware DX9 support, but is beaten by a mobility radeon with DX8.1 h/w support in terms of performance. But atleast you'll get to see the DX9 hardware features. So this was just an example.

You are somehow not getting all features of your system. SP2 changes a lot of things on windows.... different drivers etc etc...... (1 eg: - USB 2.0 support). Be sure to install ALL latest drivers for ur laptop. If possible use a driver cleaner Driver cleaner to scrub ur system. Accumulated drivers, unreplaced older versions could cause trouble.

You can safely download the latest nVidia go drivers for your chipset from nVidia.com
Don't worry if Toshiba has an older version. You can always use it if it 's meant for your chipset, no matter what make....

good luck

xedior

xedior

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I didn't imagine this would be such a common problem. I started having similar problem with my Toshiba satellite 2410 with Nvidia GeForce2 420 Go display adaptor, after I upgraded WinXP Pro from Sp1 to Sp2.

I have exactly the same symptoms that Mixima had, and followed all suggestions from Alfaman (9th Sep). I notice two scenarios:

A) Nvidia display adaptor active: (I am not sure if Mixima has same phenomena)
In Display properties->Settings I see two monitors
1. Multiple monitors on Nvidia Geforce4 420 Go (Microsoft Corp). "Use this device as primary monitor" is ticked and is greyed-out. The maximum possible resolution is 969X768
2. Default monitor on Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go (Mocrosoft Corp). "Use this device as primary monitor" is un-ticked and is greyed-out. Higher resolutions are possible.

Sachin

hi sachinab, i have your same problem. Toshiba satellite 2410-303 with GeForce4 420 Go.
I tried to install Microsoft, Toshiba, DNA and OMEGA driver but all have the same problem.
Black band on the right. Maximum resolution 969x768. It is possible that is a monitor driver problem?
anyone can help us??? please!!!!

:) excuse me for bad english but i am italian. :tazz:

Technician.Ken

Technician.Ken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I figured that I'de post my fix for the Toshiba Satellite 5105 series Geforce 4 Go artifacting problem (a lot of us have had this problem).

Fix for 5105-S701 video board artifacting problem. Repaired part FMC2G1. I am sure that this also applies to the other 5105 series machines with the Philippines manufactured GeForce 4 video boards.

To fix the artifacting video, you must repair video memory solder joints on the video board. Not a project for the faint of heart, but you don’t have much to loose (you’re only alternative is to buy a new card that will likely go awry after a few months).

So, I pinned the problem down to the video card, and more specifically, the video memory on the video card.

After my second video card failed, I decided that there was nothing left to lose, so I tore the laptop apart, pulled out the video card, and visually checked all the SMDs for dry joints. The only thing left was to clamp the memory down and use a heat gun melt the solder on the underside of the Samsung SMD memory modules. Then let it cool off (making a nice solid solder joint). I repeated with all the VRAM, and threw the card back into the laptop.

Note: though it would take a considerable amount of heat to damage the RAM, it is hard to control the solder once it becomes mobile. Be careful not to bump the board while the solder is heated. Several things can happen if you are not careful; the molten solder can bridge connections or bubble out the holes on the opposite side of the board. If you heat up the board too much, the surface mount components on the other side could become mobile, which is not pleasant to deal with if you don’t have the proper tooling.

For whatever reason, Toshiba’s manufacturing facilities were not making solid solder joints on the underside of the video RAM. These boards fail under normal conditions (not dropped, bumped, or twisted; they even fail in units that have always been stationary). The problem is obviously caused by a manufacturer defect, and Toshiba should be held accountable.

Toshiba gives their customers the runaround before telling them to go f*** themselves in a closet. It’s vile business behavior, and I am no longer a Toshiba loyal because of it.

In any case; after 6 months of twisting, bumping, and using the machine, there are no video glitches. So, good luck to the rest of you:)

Advertisements

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
whoa.... that looked like it solved it , didn't it? Toshiba should look into this immediately.

Technician.Ken

Technician.Ken

• Pip
  • 2 posts

whoa.... that looked like it solved it , didn't it? Toshiba should look into this immediately.

I'm sure that this is the problem with the 5105 series video cards that start displaying funny colored artifacts on screen.

Toshiba won't look into it. It's not economically viable to repair components at the discrete level:( Technicians with the skill set needed to do that kind of work are generally expensive.

So, instead, Toshiba will simply have a screwdriver jockey at one of their authorized repair centers tear down your machine and replace your video board. If your machine's under extended warranty you're just stuck waiting a few weeks/months for your machine. If you're not under warranty, you wait AND get charged $350.

Toshiba knows that the part is defective. They also know that the average life for a laptop is 3-5 years. So, if they can avoid dealing with the problem for long enough, there won't be a problem to be dealth with. This attitude is what pisses me off the most. I've gone through 2 cards, and they wanted to charge for a third one.

Toshiba doesn't care about its customers after they buy something, so don't stay loyal to them. Buy Fujitsu/Siemens, Acer, and the like; they care about customer loyalty and have good customer support programs to maintain that loyalty.

Toshiba will deny any knowledge of problems, and if you talk to their managers, they will tell you that Toshiba has never heard of any such problems before. These 'managers' will argue with you, and tell you that you have no options except pay for Toshiba to replace the part. They are hired into those positions because they are good at blocking upward movement of customer complaints.

Don't let it end there though. They want you to give up at that point, but here's the important bit; those handlers aren't important people:) They don't make decisions in Toshiba, they don't sign anyone's checks. They probably don't even hire/fire anyone. So, why bother dealing with them? They get enough irate phone calls every day:)

Go above them. Write POLITE letters to the real Toshiba management. Tell them about how you have been a Toshiba loyalist for the past 15 years. That you bought a Satellite 110, a Libretto 70CT, a Satellite 4030, and a Portege 8200 before buying your "desktop replacement" paper weight. Tell the people that run the company why you have lost faith in Toshiba. Why their brand lost its aura of quality.

Class action lawsuits are bad publicity, but they take time and are often fruitless. The 5005 owners still got screwed after their settlement, even though it was obvious what Toshiba was doing ($300 rebate for a $2500 computer that can't even play a DVD smoothly). Instead, don't buy Toshiba, and tell the people who care why you aren't buying them.

If anyone finds contact information for anyone worth a the air they breathe at Toshiba, please post it in any message board that you can:)

Thanks, and lets get things off in the right direction.

Edited by Technician.Ken, 30 October 2005 - 11:09 PM.

trizzytrish

trizzytrish

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Everyone, just a quick update. My "new" NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go display adapter was installed last week, and my laptop is back working just fine. In the end it only took about a month for the service center to get the part in, and it took the tech less than 30 minutes to remove the faulty card and replace it. Before leaving, they warned me to keep my laptop's internals clean, run the fan at all times, and shut it off when i am not using it. With any luck this card will last me another 3 years.

lessons learned: only reformat as the very last option, and trust my instincts when i am convinced that it is a hardware issue and not a software/driver issue.

:tazz:

-trish

p.s. i will keep you updated if this card dies in the near future. i am optimistic, but we'll see. i'll just cross my fingers that it will last until i graduate so that i can buy a new laptop.

Edited by trizzytrish, 31 October 2005 - 05:10 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
:tazz:

Edited by Mr.Chow, 31 October 2005 - 05:32 PM.

serge_skylor

serge_skylor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have found the solution for the 969 x 768 display resolution problem on Toshiba Satellite laptops. I own a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 and after doing several updates, had the same problem with the right black bar. Other resolutions, although the correct width, were pretty crappy looking.

First, download the offical Toshiba NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go driver. NVIDIA has stated they do not support this video card and is the responsibility of the Laptop manufacter. You can get the latest driver version v28.46 from the following link. Don't forget to reboot after running the driver utility.

http://www.csd.toshi...gngdgmm.0&ct=DL

Second, go to Microsoft Windows Updates to perform the XP updates to the NVIDIA driver. (dated 17-Oct-2003)

That should do it! :tazz:

Cheers,
Serge