Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows media player meesed up

• Please log in to reply

miliano

miliano

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everytime I try to stream a windows media clip from the web it does not play, quicktime and real one work great but windows does not. I try to watch videos or clips but unless I download it i can't watch it. this is a message that i get some times.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello, i'll try to solve this for you. :tazz:

Media player displays the error: Try using a different protocol, right? Wwll, can you please post the url EXACTLY as you entered it into media player please.

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
here is the url

http://boss.streamos...vialviaquez.asx

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you tried right clicking and downloading the file? Will it play then? The URL doesn't tell what protocol is being used to serve the files, but the filetype is .asx, which is a renamed .asf file and is a Windows Media format.

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have the same exact problem, in some places when i click on the link it tells me the same thing itll work in real player but not on media player, even if i type out the url. it also doesnt let me see videos from yahoo launch website. i dont know what else to do, i had media player 9 and updated to 10 but still didnt fix it.

ejkitchen

ejkitchen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem. I am running XP SP2 and WMP 10. New install of the OS as of 4 weeks ago. Also cannot play anything from Microsoft's own Guide selection. Same error. Using Microsoft's firewall and disabled it. Same problem. Also removed Google's popup blocker. Same problem. Also removed my Linksys router and plugged directly into the DSL modem. Same problem. I can play Quicktime and RealAudio content without any problems. This is very frustrating.

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah when I sign in to sbcyahoo i can't any of the news clips, because they are all windows media

miliano

miliano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Anyone know whats wrong with this.