Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

accidently deleted files

• Please log in to reply

kingocto

kingocto

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hey, the other day i was cleaning out some malware, and found a program called pokapoka62.exe trying to add itself to registery. I kept on blocking it using the ad-watch, and it was getting annoying since it repeatedly tried to add itself. I went in safemode.. searched for it.. found it in C:\windows\etb

but i accidently deleted some files.. and now my internet doesnt work.

I'm thinking about copying the WINDOWS directory off my windows xp pro cd and reinstalling the entire directory replacing the old C:\windows directory. Or, just finding the etb folder off the cd, replacing the existing etb directory. But i dont know how.

if all fails, i will have to format my computer and reinstall windows xp. the computer works just fine, i just cant get on the net.

what do you guys think?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do a system restore, which may restore your spyware problem, but that's ok. After the restore, hunt down you spyware again, and make sure you don't delete the wrong files this time.

makai

kingocto

kingocto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i did a system restore.. but i think i deleted some files that were crucial to the windows directory.. especially the ones regarding network. for some reason, it says tcp/ip is not enabled.. i even tried to check router config by going to 192.168.1.1 but that doesnt load up.

like.. i blindly deleted spyware.. along with important files (thinking that directory had all the spyware).. went to the recycle bin.. and deleted it that way. and i did it manually since for some reason none of the anti-spyware programs detected it.. but they were preventing it.

i'm currently backup up all my files.. and reinstall windows xp all over again after the forum. if everything works, i'll let you guys know.

kingocto

kingocto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
okay I fixed it. I figured I would buy an external harddrive and backup all my files before i format my computer and reinstall windows xp. but i figured, it would be a better idea of using my other computers to backup the files instead. I mean, I read somewhere that you could hook up a computer to another computer without actually going on the net. So as I started a new network, I tried to created a file sharing network folder. But as I finished, I found out the internet works and everything is running smoothly.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Magic! :tazz: