Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Grinding noise.

• Please log in to reply

emz_89

emz_89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

My desktop computer is just a little over 2 years old, and recently when I turn the computer there is an odd grinding type noise coming from the case, this noise doesn't go away, the only way I can get it to stop is by turning the computer off and on again, when I turn it back on it's normally fine.
I had a computer technician out to take a look and he said there was some wear on the processor fan and on the graphics card fan, he cleaned all the dust from the case and replaced the processor fan. However this didn't remedy the problem, he said he thinks it is the graphics card fan making the noise, but he said the fan would be very hard to replace? He said it would be best to let the fan die and then replace it? Is he right?
The computer only randomly makes this grinding noise on startup. There doesn't seem to be a pattern for when it does it. Sometimes it doesn't make the noise for a week or two, but sometimes it makes the noise everyday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Emma

Advertisements

silverblades

silverblades

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello
I have just had the same problem but for me my card is brand new so i got it replaced, but since your card is to old to take back i can suggest universal cooling like anything on this page pccasegear
hope this helps a little, if a $20 fan helps keep your card going then get one because once your fan goes on your card it will not last long(if you play stressful games) :tazz:

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well its not impossable to replace a fan/heatsink on a video card but is it worth it to you to buy like 20$ for a new replacement fan/heatsink that you or the techy put on. otherwise you could get a better video card. depends on your situation and what video card it is.

emz_89

emz_89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for replying!

I don't play any computer games.
Will I be ok to just try and ignore this problem for the time being?
The rest of the computer is working fine.

Emma

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
it will probly be okay

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I wouldn't wait for the Fan to die because the excess heat may damage som of the more sensitive components.

You can get some really nice Graphics Card fans at ww.overclockers.co.uk.

Tenbroya