Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes and Slow Reboots.

• Please log in to reply

Dr-Doak

Dr-Doak

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I try to keep up to date running spyware scans and the like. The first problem I noticed was that my Adaware was locking up when it was scanning the "Recycler" folder of my secondary Hard Drive. I've never put anything on this hard drive, so it just contains what was placed there during the initial format.

Later that night, I was emptying my Recycle Bin when my CPU locked up. I couldn't ctrl+alt+delete, but could still use the mouse. I rebooted, and the CPU began processing extremely slowly when it came to loading Windows. I thought it had actually locked up again, so I rebooted a few more times, until Windows prompted for a disk scan.

The scan said "One of the disks needs to be checked for consistency. CHKDSK verifying files (stage 1 of 3)." It began its scan which said "File record segment #X unreadable" for a number of the files. I was tired, so I left this to run over night.

When I woke up, Windows was loaded and appeared to be fully operational. I run a few scans. I thought their may be a problem with that secondary drive, so I tried to format it. The first time, it said I was unable to do so because files in it were in use by Windows. I thought it might be referring to my NAV, so I disabled real-time protection and tried formatting again. This time, it does seem to progress, so I cancel it, and things lock up again...

Reboot, the CHKDSK starts up again; it shows numerous files as unreadable, and after verifying the files, seems to stop working. So I reboot, skip that, and after 5-10 minutes of loading windows, it loads up again.

So I log on here to post about it. I have no idea why Windows may be having these problems. I'm going to run a scandisk to see if there are any disk problems.

I really appreciate any advice or help you can provide. I"m starting school up again, so it's vital to have a working CPU, even if it means I have to replace hardware components (should that be the case).

Sorry for the lenght of the post. Thanks for your help!

Edit: I notice huge slowdown when trying to do anything with Explorer (I.e., looking through my drives, opening the drive tools (scandisk, defrag, etc.). However, I'm able to use IE Explorer for the internet without many problems, except when I tried to save a file to my HD, upon which the slowdown hit again.

-Rob

Edited by Dr-Doak, 30 July 2005 - 10:34 AM.

Advertisements

Dr-Doak

Dr-Doak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Update:

I thought I was on to something when I disabled the Real Time Protection no my Norton Anti-Virus. I seemed to be able to access Explorer with no slowdown, so I set it to have a Scandisk run and then rebooted.

Scandisk went through the primary drive OK, though it seemed a little slow. Then it started to scan the secondary drive (Again, I've never added anything to this drive since I installed and formatted it.), and went right into requesting a CHKDSK to verify the consistency of the drive(s). After waiting for it to slowly scan and determine approximately 500 files segments to be "unreadable" I just reset the system.

After waiting 8 or 9 minutes to load Windows fully, I'm still getting _extreme_ slowdown. It still seems like it might be associated with Windows Explorer, but I'm not 100% sure that that is the only thing that causes this massive slowdown. Needless to say, in grinds my CPU to a halt and prevents me from doing much of anything to try to fix it. I'm actually posting this from my brother's CPU.

I'm not really sure what needs to be done. If I should try reinstalling Windows or if I even have to reformat the entire thing. I don't know if it is hardware or software related, but, again, it's hard to check much of anything with the severe slowdown.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Dr-Doak

Dr-Doak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Another Update:

I disconnected my secondary Hard Drive and rebooted. Windows loaded up promptly and I haven't had any further problems, even when using Explorer and manipulating files in my HD. So it appears that the secondary HD must have corrupted and that corruption was screwing everything up.

So for now, things look good. If I have further problems, I'll follow-up with another post for additional help.

-Rob

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
If the drive is connected as a slave make sure both drives are jumpered correctly and properly detected in the BIOS. The cable should be an 80 conductor cable less then 18'' long (no exceptions). Also try a different cable.