Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox home page won't load - Norton ?

• Please log in to reply

kyracollins

kyracollins

• Pip
  • 5 posts
We moved a couple of months ago and had to discontinue our Comcast cable service and then get on again with a new username at the new address. Shortly after that - but not right away - we could no longer get in to our Comcast home page. We use the Firefox browser with Comcast.net set as our home page. Plus Norton had been acting screwy for a while, even before we moved, constantly popping up and telling us we needed to run it right now, even if we just had. Worse than home mortgage advertising. So we took it into the shop and they told us Norton was corrupt and should be uninstalled. While the computer was on the bench, the power source died. So they uninstalled Norton, told us the failing power source had probably been the cause of the loss of the Comcast home page and billed us 130. dollars. We did not want Norton back & installed AVG ourselves as soon as we got the computer home. So....we _still_ can't get on our Comcast home page ( where of course all our e-mail folders are kept ), also when the computer boots up, it has to be tapped through manually as pages of 'I am searching for Norton' script comes up. Three virus scans have been run - here and at the shop - and found nothing. We reloaded Windows a couple of times, reloaded Mozilla, god, we have tried a lot of things. There are other issues as well, but I am too computer illiterate to detail them. Basically, Outlook works just fine ( for mail ), we can go online just fine, but when we try to load Comcast - even elliptically - it tries and tries to load, sort of like in constant refresh mode , but nothing happens. Jammed in load mode. Any suggestions would be appreciated. - kyra
If there is anything else, I will get my partner to detail it - I am the dumb one - but he is busy building a composter right now.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag which needs a reboot.

See what happens when it boots up

kyracollins

kyracollins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The first two have definitely been done. We will try the third. We have also lost our control panel. I wish someone else would take over this correspondence, I feel like a sheep lost in Manhattan. - kyra

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up has its own disc, registry cleaner and reg defrag options

kyracollins

kyracollins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is the composter builder - the lost sheep has gone to work. We downloaded Tune-up and followed your suggestions. Didn't fix our browser problem, but seems to have cleared out the last of Norton (if that's possible short of blowing up the computer). We want to thank you very, very much. Will continue to hunt for a solution to the browse problem. By the way, we tried other browsers without success. i have also taken security settings down to zero, disabled AV, Spy and Ad ware programs, closed out all running programs and still can't load homepage - so much for comcast tech support! Still hoping for suggestions.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
At least Norton is out of the way.

Post a new topic about the homepage as already replied to posts can get missed out