Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When OS boots it restarts

• Please log in to reply

extremeone

extremeone

• Pip
  • 7 posts
In an earlier post i wrote about how i had problems building a semi-new system, that sorted as i got a replacement mobo im still having problems with it as i have tried to put the old hd from the previous pc which he wanted to use(i know bad idea), it had xp on it and started to load but then restarted and did the same thing again, so i presumed it was the hd being from a dif comp, so i tried to boot from my xp install and ttry repairing it in the setup, but before i got to that stage in the installation it said it had to stop to stop any damage etc. from happening to any of the hardware. So i tried with a spare hd that was clear and working and same thing, so i installed xp on another pc which worked fine and put it back in the new pc and it just came up with the restart at bootup, this showing that it must be something to do with the mobo, i also tried loading in safe mode on both hds to see whats wrong but it just did the same thing without prompting, Please help!

Edited by extremeone, 30 July 2005 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
For the least amount of headache it is highly recommended to do a clean install, especially after replacing a mainboard. If the install crashes or gives an error then their is either defective or misconfigured hardware.

Edited by GeneralAres, 30 July 2005 - 09:33 PM.