Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
WOW - I heard back from Symantec! They even had a link to my exact problem! I think??

Computer stops at a blinking white cursor during start up after installing GoBack on a computer with a Phoenix BIOS
http://service1.syma...src=con_ols_nam

Now on a hard drive that I can NOT access - how do I determine if it has PHOENIX BIOS? The link/page says NOT to use the method if you do NOT have Phoenix BIOS!

Any help here?

bamakodaker

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi bamakodaker, glad your problem is resolved now :tazz:

I PMed you back regarding the bios. If you can't get into the bios setup at all, then look inside your computer's motherboard to see if it specifies it somewhere.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, let's not say the issue is resolved just yet!

As far as the mother board, after removing the heat sink, I read -
AMD-K6[SIZE=7]™[SIZE=1] 2[SIZE=7]
AMD - 6 - 2/350 AMDR
2.2V CORE/3.3V IO
A 9837 BPRW
1998 AMD

behind the metal I can see something darker (plastic), in the corners I read -
Z47426
350 MHz
K

I've looked all around and see nothing that has AMI or Phoenix on it. Yes, I looked closely at ALL the little black chips. Any suggestion?

bamakodaker

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hmm. It might be Award BIOS. Do you have more specs on the motherboard (exact model maybe near the edge of the board will show it)?

I bet it's showing right there (what you posted above), but I don't understand it :tazz: See if anyone else can read it and determine what BIOS it is. If not, it might be harder to see what it is. It might also be behind the motherboard which can be a pain to read since you probably have to take out the whole motherboard (but detach everything in there first to make room). Not sure if you want to do this.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
At startup I can hit F10 and get to Computer Setup page. I don't see how to find BIOS setting information there. If I can get to it with F10, would one of my startup or diagnostic floppies help me?
bamakodaker

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
If you can get into setup/BIOS, you should be able to locate the BIOS name and version in there. Use your arrow keys to look around. I'm sure it's in there somewhere. You just have to look for it. It's different depending on what BIOS you have. When you are done, just hit the Esc key and use your arrow keys to say exit and discard changes so you don't save anything.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I believe I have looked around on Computer Setup but do NOT see anything about BIOS. Is there a different "page" that is the BIOS Setup? I've tried F2, ESC and other F keys. Only F10 yeilds results and that is the Computer Setup page.

bamakodaker

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Is the color very limited in that setup page? That should be the bios/setup page. Did you use your arrow keys to navigate around the tabs in there?

When you startup your computer, it just says hit F10 to enter setup right? That should be it then if there's nothing else displayed on the screen.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
The top and bottom is blue of the first page is blue.
At top it reads - Computer Setup. 686A1 08/05/99.
The tabs and their listings are:
System - PCI Bus Master Enabled, System POST Fast, Power management Enabled, Power on password, Setup password, Alternative memory reporting Disabled, System inactivity timeout 30 minutes.
Communications - Parallel port mode: Bidirectional, Onboard LAN: Enabled
Storage - Diskette drive A: 1.44 MB or 120 MB (3.5 inch), Diskette drive B: not installed, Select Operating System Type: DOS only of DOS and Windows, Enhanced IDE transfers Enabled, Ultra 33 enabled, Primary IDE Contorller Enabled, Secondary IDE Controller Enabled
Input Devices - USB legacy keyboard support Disabled
Multimedia - PCI VGA Snoop Disabled, Compaq multimedia monitor Auto-detection, Onboard monochrome video mode support Enabled
Exit

I received 3 responses from Compaq. The first seemed very informed, the next less informed, the last was just someone who read a computer response - didn't really know anything. The last one said HD is dead, give up.

Any thoughts?
bamakodaker

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, mind was in somewhere else. I searched and searched only to be where we are again...back here :tazz: I think you should have the Compaq BIOS ;) I looked all over and can't find much information. I would say it's either the Compaq BIOS or the ASUS BIOS since it's usually the manufacturer of the motherboard.

I suggest trying out those steps anyway. If it's not Phoenix BIOS, I doubt you'll get past step two (see below):

# Select BIOS Feature Set Up, and then press Enter.
# Select the value listed to the right of PhoenixNetInstallation.

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I greatly appreciate you sticking with me on this. I'm still confused. You keep saying BIOS setup but I only see Computer Setup. I see nothing within this setup that says BIOS. The bottom of the screen has directions for - select menu, select item, change values and select.

I have read some people saying THE key to use to get to BIOS setup is shown on screen at startup. I never see it. The first screen shows COMPAQ, briefly there is a blinking cursor at upper left, then it goes to upper right for a longer period of time. If I do nothing the screen goes blank except for the cursor blinking at upper left. IF I hit any key while that [U]first]/U] blinking cursor is at upper left then I'll get a line about keyboard error. Otherwise if I tap the F10 while the cursor is at upper right I get to the Computer Setup window.

As always I appreciate your time and suggestions.
bamakodaker

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'm sorry - I did get word that I have Compaq BIOS. What I can't determine is if they just renamed it (just to have their name on it) but it really is Phoenix BIOS!?

And no - I can't even get to the first step as I have not discovered how to access the BIOS setup.

Much thanks again,
bamakodaker

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, there are many ways to do this. You might want to give them all a try since you said it doesn't mention it. Most PCs that I worked with call the BIOS, setup instead. Don't ask me, I don't know why :tazz: That's why I kept mentioning the BIOS ;)

Go to this site and try out those combinations to see if they can get you into the BIOS.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
If it's a compaq then you more than likely hit f10 and from what you said you did that. That brings you into computer setup that is your bios. Compaq typically have very limited bios and sometimes you have to use a setup or diagnostic disk from compaq to do much of anything there.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Just so you know where I went with this - I gave up, installed a new HD and am bogged down getting it all setup. Sometime I hope to find time to get back to the problems of the old HD - I hope!

bamakodaker