Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problems SBC DSL Modem

• Please log in to reply

ADenise

ADenise

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I had to switch from my Westbell DSL modem to SBC Siemens SpeedStream 4100 Ethernet ADSL Modem and SBC DSL service due to AOL change.

My activation service for SBC was on the 27th. My other DSL service was working fine. I installed the SBC software and hooked up my new modem accordingly. All lights on the modem are working correctly.

Via the CD software, the modem attempts to connect and the connection fails. After several retry's, I called SBC. They had me try to connect via Internet Explorer --> File --> Open, plug in their address, their login window comes up, they gave me a username and password, and still the connection fails.

They had me check the ping -- they said it was okay.

We turned off all virus protection/firewall stuff, deleted cookies, cleaned out temp files, switched internet options back to default, etc. Still, no connection.

SBC tech finally said "XP has been having some problems", but when I asked what they were, tech had no answer (to me, that translates to "I don't know what's happening.") SBC tech advised me to call Microsoft, which we all know won't help.

I tried installing on another computer -- same problem. I did a diagnostic on my Connection (on both computers), and this is what came up:

Ethernet: Pass

ADSL: Pass

ATM: Check ATM cell-delineation to PPPoE: Pass
ATM: Check ATM signal: Pass
Perform ATM OAM Segment Ping: FAIL
Perform ATM OAM End To End Ping: FAIL

All PPP tests FAIL (Check PPPoE Connection to Ethernet; Check PPP Connection to PPPoE; Check PPPoE Server Connectivity; Check PPPoE Server Session)

Authentication: Check Authentication with PPP Server: FAIL

I also got: "The far end did not respond to PPPoE requests".

Does anyone out there know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

ADenise :tazz:

Advertisements

Rocksfinders

Rocksfinders

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi ADenise

I also have SBC DSL and it can be a problem. Have you tried setting the reset button on the back of the speedstream. Then using internet explorer type in the modem configuration on back also, then your access code. I have had to do this a couple of times to get connected. Also, I suggest you uninstall all the SBC software from the CD and download it again from the SBC site. The guys at SBC just read from a book and really do not know what they are doing most of the time. Hope this helped.

LIFE IS GOOD! REALLY!

ROCKS :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Given what you told us, I would say that the MODEM is bad. Both computers exhibit the same problem. This is not a XP installation specific issue so either xp just does not work with their system (which is unlikely since everyone else's does), or the modem is funky.

The obvious conclusion is the modem is funky

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, the diagostic you ran seems to indicate connectivity issue, which also points to the modem