Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System disk swap between machines

• Please log in to reply

gohachi

gohachi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I want to take a system disk out of one machine, Celeron 800MHz, m/b of unknown lineage (AMIBIOS circa 1999) and swap it into a Celeron 2.4GHz, ASUS P4S800-MX m/b (ASUSTeK bios).

On doing so I get the dreaded "STOP 0x7B" message which, I believe, means the new system cannot read the MBR. I thought MBRs would have been fairly standard across systems of basically the same architecture.

Swapping the system disk back to the old system and all is still OK.

Have you any thoughts on fixing this sort of problem apart from a complete rebuild of the system?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

What you are trying to do won't work as you found out..

You will need to boot the system using the XP cd and run a "Repair" in order to get Windows to recognize the new mobo hardware!!

Murray

gohachi

gohachi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Murray.

I am pretty green at this sort of thing. When you say "run Repair" what needs to be done once I have typed "R" and the system returns to the "c\windows" prompt. Is it sufficient to just restart from the hard disk or must I install the drivers somehow?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No.. All you need to do is start with the XP cd.. Let it go through as though your are going to install the operating system again.. One of the options you will get is to "Repair an existing installation"..

If you see anything about formatting, you've gone too far!!

Murray

gohachi

gohachi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmmmm... I think there may be another problem. Correct me if I am wrong; here's what I am doing.

Set bios to boot from CD

boot from cd, and select R option.

select "1" for the only system found.

type "exit"

reboot from hard disk to get the same error 0x0000007B ( etc)

g.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Take a look here.. CLICK THIS

I can see where to confusion is.. If you look at the first 3 pics in the link I provided, you will see where you have to be to repair the system..

Murray

gohachi

gohachi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you to all who assisted (especially Murray). I have done a rebuild, simple when you know how and all is sweet as a nut !!

Thanks again.

Hopefully I will be able to help someone else one day.

cheers,
g