Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Should I replace my HD?

• Please log in to reply

guy_x

guy_x

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Some days ago I ran a scan at my PC as I do periodically, running Adaware, Spybot, Ewido and Panda.

- All was good until Ewido found C:\WINDOWS\tmpcpyis.bat infected, which was automatically quarantined; once Ewido was finished I ran Panda and so far it found some "SaveNow" adware in registry, backed up too before cleaning... I went to sleep, leaving the scan running.

- Then when I woke up I go to check my PC and find it totally black screened with this message: 'A disk read error occurred, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart' so i do it but nothing changes and the same sequence keeps repeating. I Tried booting from Windows XP installation CD, but just got me a 'CHECKING HARDWARE CONFIGURATION' message, followed by a black screen.

- I called Dell Support and they gave me some directions (but none worked) including running a test... memory and processor were OK, even Hard Drive (physically). So they told me it was probably an Operating System error and that I have to perform a low level format after looking for someone who could help me with backing-up my data.

- Yesterday I ran a complete test on my own and got the next message:

Ide Read Test
ERROR CODE 0F00:0228
Msg:Block 103145728: Timeout waiting for drive not busy.

So I called Dell again and they told me i definetly had to replace HD...I don't know anymore if it's a physical or an operating system error.. :tazz: please help me.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Removed -- spam!

Edited by admin, 29 November 2005 - 10:48 PM.

guy_x

guy_x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The problem is that I can't boot or run from the CD unit... I have tried with a CD containing diagnostics and utilities that came with my PC when bought and got the same 'CHECKING HARDWARE CONFIGURATION' message followed by a black screen, I'm also unable to run Windows in safe mode. Gonna give a try using that diagnostics, though.