Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need some help on getting rid of viruses.

• Please log in to reply

insane_dreamer

insane_dreamer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok well, after you guys read this post you can dub me as the ultimate computer newb.

to start you guys off, i dont have norton anti-virus because i dont have the money to buy it, and my dad is too anal about money to buy it for me. so instead i substituted norton with Ad-Aware SE Personal and AVG Free.

The problem is that I cant get rid of Trojan viruses. I get stuff like Trojan backdoor, Trojan.dll, whatever. My AVG popped up like 20 different windows informing me of a Trojan virus.

I dont want to reformat my computer because I have a lot of files and it takes a while to back them all up. I want to know how to eliminate these viruses effectively instead of having to purge my system once every few months.

I read another thread and the user had the same problem as me, but she was better equipped with Norton and actually had a sense of what she was doing.

So yeah, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log to the Malware Team

insane_dreamer

insane_dreamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i did all that, but im stuck on the windows update. i remember updating to the sp2 version a while before, but now i cant even connect to the microsoft website. Im using firefox, but even if i use IE, i still cannot connect. It says that my connection has been refused. I dont think its a problem with cookies and such since microsoft is a secure site. if i cant get that sp1a file, will it drastically affect my virus removal? i have that restarting problem like stated in sp2.

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Post up your hijack this log in the malware forum, and explain what troubles you are having, may have to get rid of some nasties beforehand.

They will sort you out in there, but just be a bit patient, they are very busy. In the mean time download the ewido suite and run it, let it clean anything that it finds, and save the log file, maybe post it in with the hijack this log.

cheers woody

insane_dreamer

insane_dreamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
alright, thanks guys.