Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Sound At All

• Please log in to reply

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Recently I had to unplug everything from the back of my computer so that I could move it. After I moved it, I plugged everything back in and made sure that it was all where it was supposed to be. And it was.

Everything remained fine for about a week. Then my speakers just completely stopped working. I tried Troubleshooting, and nothing seemed to work after nearly 4 hours of trying.

When I tried to play music on Windows Media Player, a little orange exclamation mark comes up. I read the Error Details and it said that there was no sound device installed or it may be in use by a different program. But it wasn't.

I don't know why it would just all of a sudden not be installed, but it seemed a little weird to me. I'm no computer expert, but I would really like to know what's going on.

I even tried a whole new set of speakers...and once again. Nothing.

Please help. :tazz:

Oh, and yes. I did try the headphones. And they aren't working either.

Edited by Hardcore_x3, 31 July 2005 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Recently I had to unplug everything from the back of my computer so that I could move it.  After I moved it, I plugged everything back in and made sure that it was all where it was supposed to be.  And it was.

Everything remained fine for about a week.  Then my speakers just completely stopped working.  I tried Troubleshooting, and nothing seemed to work after nearly 4 hours of trying.

When I tried to play music on Windows Media Player, a little orange exclamation mark comes up.  I read the Error Details and it said that there was no sound device installed or it may be in use by a different program.  But it wasn't.

I don't know why it would just all of a sudden not be installed, but it seemed a little weird to me.  I'm no computer expert, but I would really like to know what's going on.

I even tried a whole new set of speakers...and once again.  Nothing.

Please help.    :tazz:

Oh, and yes.  I did try the headphones.  And they aren't working either.

View Post

Do you still have the CD that came with your
computer that contains the device drivers?
no? then do you have an idea on what soundcard/chipset you're using?
okay.. well to get started, you've got to let me know what version
of windows you're using.

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Do you still have the CD that came with your
computer that contains the device drivers?
no? then do you have an idea on what soundcard/chipset you're using?
okay.. well to get started, you've got to let me know what version
of windows you're using.

View Post

No, I do not have the CD that came with my computer.

And I don't even have an idea about what soundcard/chipset I'm using. To tell the truth, I don't even know what a chipset is.

But I do know that I'm using Windows XP. :tazz:

Edited by Hardcore_x3, 31 July 2005 - 03:07 AM.

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

No, I do not have the CD that came with my computer.

And I don't even have an idea about what soundcard/chipset I'm using.  To tell the truth, I don't even know what a chipset is.

But I do know that I'm using Windows XP.  :tazz:

View Post

whoops...okay.
in that case, first do a Windows Key+Pause,
that'll bring you to the System Properties dialog,
move over to the Hardware tab, and click on
Device Manager. Look under the Sound, Video
and Game Controller category. Look for the audio device name.

Another way to go about doing this is to look up your motherboard's
name and model number in google, get to the manufacturers website,
download the audio driver, and install it.

all the best.

Hardcore_x3

Hardcore_x3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, I didn't know how to look up my specific motherboard on Google because I'm not sure how I would know which one it is...

So, I chose an alternative way and as I type, I'm downloading a program that gives me all the personal information that I need about my computer. So this should do the trick...

And after the download is complete, I'll be sure to go to the manufacturers site so I can get what I need from there.

I appriciate all the help!! It was very much needed. :tazz:

dineshpandian

dineshpandian

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Well, I didn't know how to look up my specific motherboard on Google because I'm not sure how I would know which one it is...

So, I chose an alternative way and as I type, I'm downloading a program that gives me all the personal information that I need about my computer.  So this should do the trick...

And after the download is complete, I'll be sure to go to the manufacturers site so I can get what I need from there.

I appriciate all the help!!  It was very much needed.  :tazz:

View Post

sure, that'd do too.
no problem.
have fun!