Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowsXP generates random passwords for login

• Please log in to reply

hyeok

hyeok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've arrived here in Korea at my Aunt's house, and her computer is acting very strangely. It seems to place a random password for Windows XP login so that one can't log on to use the computer. And yet, the password is not there at other random times so that one can use the computer. My aunt tells me that someone who's been at her house to fix her computer insists that it is someone hacking into her computer, although i find that hard to believe. Any ideas? I'm afraid to do any banking/email from this computer at this point because im afraid perhaps there is a keylogger that is submitting info to whoever this hacker is. thanks a lot!

-maxx

EDIT: Her computer is running Korean Windows XP SP1.

Edited by hyeok, 31 July 2005 - 05:28 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think it is more likely a corrupted SAM or SECURITY hive.

when you say that the password changes at random, do you mean that she cannot log on to her own computer at these times because her password is not accepted, but then rebooting later, she can?

hyeok

hyeok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I think it is more likely a corrupted SAM or SECURITY hive.
when you say that the password changes at random, do you mean that she cannot log on to her own computer at these times because her password is not accepted, but then rebooting later, she can?

View Post

To be more precise, she does not have a password set at all for her computer. She simply turns on the computer and presses on her name to log onto her windows account. But, windows asks for a password at random times when she turns on the computer. Of course, the computer returns to not requiring a computer some time after.

hyeok

hyeok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I should also probably add that on these occasions that the password is randomly created, when one enters the wrong password, an error dialogue pops up saying something about how the server could not authenticate the password.