Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ad-Aware Problem [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi,

I've tried to download the last few definition files for Ad-Aware and when it gets to the progress bar it sticks at 5% and doesn't move. I then get an error message that says something along the lines of "could not read file".

Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks in advance :tazz: .

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Many people has had this problem with the latest build. (including myself, but got it to work.)
I suggest you first try to browse to folder; C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware SE

See if there is a file named defs.ref.
Rename it as defs.ref.old and see if you can update now. Also make sure you're firewall is allowing access to the update server. If this doesn't work, try and delete all the def files from the Ad-aware folder and now try to update. If none of this works,
you'll need to update manually here;
http://www.lavasoft.com/

Except - I'm not sure if the site has been updated yet, so it may be you won't get the latest defs for a while! :tazz:

There is also many Ad-aware SE help forums available.. Unofficial of course, but it contains Ad-aware Experts.
What also would help to know, if you have an purchased version of Ad-aware or the free version in use -- since there is free email- support for registered users of Ad-aware.

Hope this helps.

- Rawe ;)

thedarkprince

thedarkprince

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yep, that seems to have done the trick ;)

It said that it couldn't find the definition file but happily let me download it properly.

Thanks for your help :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.