Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

P4 2.53 runs 1.9

• Please log in to reply

Ozzi

Ozzi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help. I have an Emachines t4510 and best buy where i bought it, did some work on it. I think they replaced the mother board. Anyhow, my p4 2.53 is no running at 1.9. What could be the problem? Any help would be great.

Edited by Ozzi, 31 July 2005 - 07:36 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Theres a few possible reasons for this:
1. the cpu fsb/clock speed has not been configured correctly in the bios
2. the cpu is overheating & the system has decreased the speed in order to lower the temperature
3. the replacement mobo doesn't support cpus of this speed
4. the cpu has been replaced for a slower one

(2) is unlikely to be the case if the system reports the cpu speed as 1.9GHz the entire time, especially when you first boot up.

Can you able to go into the bios & look for anything that reports the CPU FSB (or external frequency) & the ratio? If you find it, let us know what these values are set to.

Ozzi

Ozzi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a phoenix award bios, I found it set for default with the options for 100/66/33mhz up to 123/82/41mhz with +3/+2/+1 for the difference in the list in values

CPU 1/1
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Family Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Architecture 32-bit
Internal Clock 1.9 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum 2.4 GHz
External Clock 100.0 MHz
Socket Designation Socket 478
Upgrade ZIF Socket
HyperThreadingTechnology Available - Disabled
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2, PAE
Version Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Caches
Level 1 20 KB
Level 2 512 KB

also the intel test states that my bus is running at 492 instead of 533

Edited by Ozzi, 31 July 2005 - 10:35 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I believe I'm right in saying that your cpu (at 2.5MHz) should be running at 133MHz (external clock). The multiplier currently being used is 19 which is correct (19 x 133 = 2527 or 2.5GHz). However, 19 x 100 = 1.9GHz (your current speed).

As it doesn't appear that your board supports external clock of 133MHz, then its possible eMachines have given you the wrong mobo for your system.

I can't swear to that though, wait & see if anyone else here has any thoughts on this.